Barrel Fever: Stories and Essays

by David Sedaris | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by KatrinR of Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on 1/26/2013
Journal Entry 1 by KatrinR at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, April 09, 2013
to be released at the boston bookcrossing meetup on tuesday april 9, 2013 at algiers in cambridge, ma

Journal Entry 2 by southbos3279 at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, April 28, 2013
Picked up at the April 2013 Bookcrossing Meetup.

Journal Entry 3 by wingeponine38wing at Brookline, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, September 24, 2016
Picked up at the meetup. I've enjoyed other David Sedaris books so thought I'd give this a try.

Journal Entry 4 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, February 24, 2018
I guess I was spoiled by reading Me Talk Pretty One Day as my introduction to David Sedaris, as other books of his that I've tried since haven't measured up. Couldn't get into this one, so it will look for a more appreciative reader.

Journal Entry 5 by wingeponine38wing at Panera Bread - Porter Sq in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, February 24, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (2/24/2018 UTC) at Panera Bread - Porter Sq in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA

To be released at the BookCrossing meetup.

Released for Keep Them Moving Challenge hosted by booklady331.

Welcome to BookCrossing!

I hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 6 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, December 09, 2018
I got this book at today's Meetup at the Porter Square Panera. (It was a lovely meetup, with some new faces as well as old friends; thanks to all!) I've read this before, and will release it at one of the many new LFLs in Nashua.

As with all of Sedaris' work, even the funniest bits have dark edges; he's not to everyone's taste, and some of the entries here are pretty strong stuff, which might offend or even horrify some folks, so proceed with caution.

The now-classic "SantaLand Diaries," Sedaris' account of his stint as a Macy's elf, is perhaps the best story here, and certainly my favorite. And, in general, I prefer his non-fiction to his fiction (though where the line is drawn might be hard to say at times!). But I got a kick out of "The Last You'll Hear From Me", and "My Manuscript", and the extreme snarkiness and between-the-lines of "Glen's Homophobia Newsletter". "Season's Greetings to Our Friends and Family!" is a very black-humored take on those chatty Christmas letters, from a woman who's clearly gone around the bend, but who remains cheerful in a brittle sort of way [this is one of the most disturbing stories in this book, so be warned!]. And "After Malinson" is a very funny story of an obsessed fan pursuing an author. I liked the "Diary of a Smoker" essay, too. But the book would be worth its weight for "Santaland Diaries" alone!

Journal Entry 7 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, 4 Lake St in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, December 09, 2018

Released 3 mos ago (12/9/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, 4 Lake St in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library on this bright, chilly day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***