Gothic Sports Volume 2

by Anike Hage | Graphic Novels |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 1/22/2013
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, February 13, 2013
I enjoyed Volume One of this series, and ordered this volume to see how the team fares in their first game. Since they're clearly a ragtag bunch of misfits with very few players who have any skill, and since they haven't had much practice time together yet, the odds aren't that good - and the author doesn't go for any miracles, but manages an involving and charming, yet realistic game. [Perhaps too realistic, what with poor Leon's stomach upset, and Anya taping up her blistered feet in the final panel!]

There are some nice plot-points involving the cliques who don't want the new team to succeed, and we eventually find out what Anya has against Leon - or is that the only thing? Anyway, it seems that the Goth-style team will get to play - and I guess I'll be looking for Volume 3!

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, February 23, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (2/23/2013 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this to the Manga/Manhwa bookbox, which will be on its way shortly. Hope someone enjoys it!

*** Released as part of the 2013 Becky's Hugs challenge, for her love of soccer; here's the Becky's Hugs page. ***

*** Released as part of the 2013 Wine + Food + BookCrossing challenge, for the embedded word "ort" in the title. ***

Journal Entry 3 by quietorchid at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Friday, March 08, 2013
Oh Boy! Oh Boy! A wishlist book!

Journal Entry 4 by quietorchid at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (11/26/2013 UTC) at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA

Set free in the From the Beginning Manga Bookbox. Enjoy!

#27 in the 2013 E-less Challenge.

Journal Entry 5 by wingk00kaburrawing at San Jose, California USA on Wednesday, March 19, 2014
This book enjoyed a brief stop in San Jose, CA before continuing its travels in the Manga Bookbox!

Journal Entry 6 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Saturday, June 07, 2014
A gothic lolita soccer team? Sounds fun!!

Journal Entry 7 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Monday, February 20, 2017
Vol 2 opens ten minutes into the game, with the gothic team losing zero to two. Things are certainly not looking good and Anya has given up hope.

As I read, I continue to be amazed at the quality of this manga, coming from a German. I am referring to the fact that the flow of manga (use of frames, flow, very little narrative panels) is rather different from comic strips and action hero comics, not to mention character designs. It's kind of like speaking without an accent even if you grow up with a different language. I just wish that the story line itself is stronger, but I am sure the artist will continue to develop. Look forward to great things from her!

Putting into the manga bookbox.

Journal Entry 8 by wingAzukiwing at Manga / Graphic Novels, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, March 23, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (3/23/2017 UTC) at Manga / Graphic Novels, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Putting into manga bookbox.

Journal Entry 9 by spacedog at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, April 01, 2017
came back in manga bookbox

Journal Entry 10 by spacedog at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Monday, April 10, 2017
this book answers one of the main questions, which was why the main character hates the obvious love interest so much, but there are still a lot of parts that are underdeveloped. the main character is pretty unlikable. she's whiny and is super uncoordinated for someone whose dream is to be a star athlete. she doesn't even know the rules for soccer? the supporting characters seem more interesting, but they don't get much focus. i kind of like the premise, but this book was just too full of cliches and not much else.

Journal Entry 11 by spacedog at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, September 28, 2017
added to nimoridel's manga/graphic novel bookbox (http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/14452373)

Journal Entry 12 by wingnimrodielwing at Evanston, Illinois USA on Tuesday, December 12, 2017
This came back in my manga & graphic novel book box.

Journal Entry 13 by wingnimrodielwing at Evanston, Illinois USA on Sunday, December 02, 2018
This was a fun volume, even though it seemed a bit slower than volume one. The soccer game was fun, and we find out why Anya hates Leon/ I am going to try and find the rest of the series now as I want to find out how this group of misfits gets along in their quest to become a credible soccer team. Not something I might have picked up at the bookstore, but I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Journal Entry 14 by wingnimrodielwing at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Released 4 mos ago (4/22/2019 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

adding to my manga & graphic novel book box.

Journal Entry 15 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, May 15, 2019
I'm claiming the three "Gothic Sports" volumes from the Manga and Graphic Novel bookbox (bookbox journal here). I've read the first two (indeed, this one's a copy that I registered!) but not Volume Three, and I wanted to keep them together.

[There's a short TV Tropes page on the series.]

Journal Entry 16 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Atherton Park in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, August 01, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (8/1/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library, Atherton Park in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library in Atherton Park on this warm day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2019 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***