Napoleon's Buttons: How 17 Molecules Changed History

Registered by futurecat of Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on 1/21/2013
Journal Entry 1 by futurecat from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Monday, January 21, 2013
The title is a little misleading - the book covers a lot more than 17 molecules, because most of the chapters cover whole classes of molecules rather than one specific one, but it's still a really interesting way to explain a bit of the science of chemistry and how the shapes of molecules determine their effect. I had to reach far back into my own history to remember my 7th form chemistry classes, though you don't really need any prior knowledge - the authors build up from simpler concepts to more complex as they work through the molecules, so even though some of the explanations went far beyond anything we learnt at school they weren't too daunting.

^ ^
=+=
v

Journal Entry 2 by wingSherlockfanwing at Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Thursday, January 31, 2013
Thanks very much futurecat. The book arrived safely today and I'm really keen to start reading. There are a couple of real life bookclub books that are essential reading in the next couple of weeks but I might approach this book one chapter at a time as it does look as if it could be separated into segments without distracting from the overall experience. Generally I try not to be reading more than one book at once but can make an exception in this situation. Looks like for once my dislike of short stories will in no way affect this book - it seems as if each 'button' can stand on its own. I did get as far as 6th form chemistry but that was a long long time ago.

Journal Entry 3 by wingSherlockfanwing at Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Friday, September 28, 2018
Futurecat, I'm having to do some decluttering in advance of moving somewhere more appropriate for elderly folk liable to trip on staircases - at least that is what the family think.
I really enjoyed the start I made on this book and then some of the science befuddled me. Would you like me to post it back to you, take it to a local BC meet-up or perhaps take it to Hobart. Whatever would bring you the greatest pleasure? I will just check the BC Wish lists in case there is anyone looking for this book but will await your answer before I do anything.
Warmly
Jan
LATER - No one with the book on their Wish lists.

Journal Entry 4 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, September 29, 2018
Hi Sherlockfan,
Glad you enjoyed the part of the book you managed to read, at least. If you have room in your luggage, it would be great if the book made it to Hobart, but if not, I'm happy for it to be released at a meetup or in the wild - whatever you feel like doing with it.
See you in Hobart!

Journal Entry 5 by wingSherlockfanwing at Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Wednesday, November 07, 2018
Interesting book where I learned such a lot. I hope the next finder will get as much pleasure as I did. So many different aspects, all full of interesting bits of history and well worth reading.
I consulted with the original registrant who expressed the wish that I should find room in my luggage so I am doing just that.

Journal Entry 6 by wingSherlockfanwing at a public place in Hobart in Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Wednesday, November 07, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (11/9/2018 UTC) at a public place in Hobart in Hobart, Tasmania Australia

Sorry that it has taken me so long to move this book on - it should not have spent so much time in my house and is now ready to start more travel.

Once you've read it please log in to www.bookcrossing.com and write an enty telling the previous readers and others in future just what you thought of it.

We are following the aim of "Make The Whole World A Library" - such a worthwhile concept don't you think?

Journal Entry 7 by bookworm76 at Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Saturday, November 10, 2018
Picked up at the Hobart unconvention.