Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's

by John Elder Robison | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by webosfritos of Gijón, Asturies/Asturias Spain on 1/21/2013
Journal Entry 1 by webosfritos from Gijón, Asturies/Asturias Spain on Monday, January 21, 2013
The author tell us his life from childhood and describes how Asperger's syndrome marked it.
Very interesting book to put oneself in the shoes of people with Asperger's syndrome.

Journal Entry 2 by webosfritos at Gijón, Asturies/Asturias Spain on Monday, January 21, 2013
"I have a lot of trouble reading other people. I am not very good at looking at people and knowing whether they like me, or they're mad, or they're just waiting for me to say something. I don't have problems like that with the machines."

Journal Entry 3 by webosfritos at Gijón, Asturies/Asturias Spain on Monday, January 21, 2013
"I am tongue-tied when approaching people unless they speak to me first. If I do speak up, I often say something that's taken as rude or surprising-especially when I've told people something true that they don't want to hear."

Journal Entry 4 by webosfritos at Gijón, Asturies/Asturias Spain on Monday, January 21, 2013
"My conversational difficulties highlight a problem Aspergians face every day. A person with an obvious disability-for example, someone in a wheelchair-is treated compassionately because his handicap is obvious. No one turns to a guy in a wheelchair and says, 'Quick! Let's run across the street!' And when he can't run across the street, no one says, 'What's his problem?' They offer to help him across the street. With me, though, there is no external sign that I am conversationally handicapped. So folks hear some conversational misstep and say, 'What an arrogant jerk!'"

Journal Entry 5 by webosfritos at -- Somewhere in Boston <3 in Boston, Massachusetts USA on Monday, January 21, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (1/21/2013 UTC) at -- Somewhere in Boston <3 in Boston, Massachusetts USA

Nessel Way is a small street in the Longwood Medical Area. In the corner of Longwood Avenue and Nessel Way you will find a yellow and black traffic sign indicating "Caution. Speed bumps ahead". Look me in the eye is hidden behind this traffic sign, between the sign and the post that sustains it. Please, note that the book is protected by two plastic bags and is not clearly visible to passers by, so it will be there until some bookcrosser finds it. Enjoy the hunt and the book.