Breaking Through: Catholic Women Speak for Themselves

by Helen M. Alvare | Religion & Spirituality | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingResQgeekwing of Alexandria, Virginia USA on 1/9/2013
Journal Entry 1 by wingResQgeekwing from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Wednesday, January 09, 2013
An unedited galley proof copy from the Amazon.com Vine program, to read and review.

Journal Entry 2 by wingResQgeekwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Wednesday, January 16, 2013
There is much debate about the role of women in the Catholic Church these days. We hear many women who are critical of the teachings and traditions of the Church in areas that touch on the lives of women. But how many of those questioning voices come from Catholic women? Here is a collection of essays from such Catholic women, in which they address their own understanding of the Church’s teachings and practices. These women defend their faith and argue strongly for the merits of the positions held by the Church. These are not women who are blindly obedient, following the Church uncritically. Rather, these are women who have questioned, challenged, and struggled with their faith, and have come to an understanding that is in agreement with the Church.

I cannot, in truth, confess to being in agreement with all of the positions of these writers. And, as someone who disagrees, I can say that these essays are unlikely to change the minds of many (perhaps most) who hold differing opinions on these matters. However, there is still much value in these essays, because they show that it is possible to arrive at an agreement with the Church through reflection and critical analysis. They demonstrate that the faithful are not, necessarily, blind dupes, obediently following the Church without giving any thought to what they profess to believe, as they are too often portrayed by those in opposition to the Church. From such a recognition, we might better find common ground in dialogue, and, if not agreement, at least a measure of understanding.

Journal Entry 3 by wingResQgeekwing at Arlington, Virginia USA on Saturday, February 09, 2013

Released 7 yrs ago (2/9/2013 UTC) at Arlington, Virginia USA

I brought this to the BC-in-DC meeting at Potbelly Sandwich Works in Crystal City this afternoon, and it didn't come home with me.

Journal Entry 4 by wingOBCZSheratonCrystalCitywing at Arlington, Virginia USA on Sunday, February 10, 2013
This was leftover after our meetup in Crystal City at Potbelly, so BCinDC members slipped it onto the shelves at the OBCZ at the Sheraton Crystal City.