corner corner After the Quake

by Haruki Murakami | Audio Downloads
Registered by PLC-852346 on 1/2/2013

status (set by BookBirds): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by PLC-852346 on Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Short stories. Strange and beautiful, as you'd expect from Murakami, but not difficult to read at all.

Journal Entry 2 by Danielle23 at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Saturday, February 02, 2013

The book has arrived and I've started it already. I love Murakami and this looks like I'll enjoy it too. Thanks so much for sharing and granting a wish peteypeat xx

Journal Entry 3 by Danielle23 at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Sunday, March 17, 2013

I really enjoyed reading this. I love reading Murakami, it always makes me feel relaxed and peaceful no matter what it is I'm reading about. These short stories were just so full of life and believable people. Even 'Frog', lol. Frog was my favourite character and although I felt a bit cheated that this chapter was so short, it was my favourite and gave me the most food for thought.

Journal Entry 4 by 1001-library at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, March 24, 2013

Thanks so much for your donation Danielle23!

This book is now part of the 1001-library. If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the library bookshelf

Journal Entry 5 by Horinkie at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Wednesday, July 17, 2013

There was a nice surprise in my postbox today, the book arrived savely in Cape Town. Thank you very much for granting my wish and the lovely bookmark, Danielle23.

Journal Entry 6 by Horinkie at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Monday, July 22, 2013

Just arrived, soon to be read, and already requested - amazing!
The book will travel to Stoepbrak after reading.

Journal Entry 7 by Horinkie at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Friday, August 23, 2013

Back cover:

The economy was booming. People had more money than they knew what to do with. And then the earthquake struck. For the characters in after the quake, the Kobe earthquake is an echo from a past they buried long ago. Satsuki has spent thirty years hating one man: a lover who destroyed her chances of having children. Did her desire for revenge cause the earthquake? Junpei's estranged parents live in Kobe. Should he contact them? Miyake left his family in Kobe to make midnight bonfires on a beach hundreds of miles away. Four-year-old Sala has nightmares that the Earthquake Man is trying to stuff her inside a little box. Katagiri returns home to find a giant frog in his apartment, on a mission to save Tokyo from a massive burrowing worm. 'When he gets angry, he causes earthquakes,' says Frog. 'And right now he is very, very angry.'

This new collection of stories, from one of the world's greatest living writers, dissects the violence beneath the surface of modern Japan.

Journal Entry 8 by Horinkie at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Friday, August 23, 2013

My first Murakami - I enjoyed reading the 6 stories very much. All stories are linked to the Kobe earthquake. Compelling and a bit like being in a dream, it reminded me of Kafka. I just wish I would know more about Japan to better understand the allegorical passages.

Journal Entry 9 by Horinkie at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Thursday, September 12, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (9/12/2013 UTC) at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa

...and the book is on its way to Stoepbrak.

Journal Entry 10 by wingStoepbrakwing at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Sunday, September 15, 2013

The book found its way around Table Mountain. Thanks to peteypeat for registering it, Danielle23 for donating it to the library, and Horinkie for passing it on!

Haruki Murakami 1001-library books seem to find the journey to me quite hazardous — two of them being the only BC books so far appearing to have gone lost on their way here — so I'm glad Horinkie took no chances and delivered this one by hand. :) I'm looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 11 by wingStoepbrakwing at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Sunday, September 29, 2013

A good story-teller knows: what is left out is often more important than what is included. Being a master story-teller, Haruki Murakami goes further: he knows what to leave out so that the reader does not end up feeling cheated. Each story paints an atmospheric picture with people one recognises as being both real and unique. Having read it, there are just enough questions left unanswered to let the story linger. Life goes on, after all.

I enjoyed all 6 stories, with Landscape with Flatiron, Thailand and Honey Pie my favourites.

An extract from Landscape with Flatiron, describing how one of the main protagonists experiences a driftwood bonfire on the beach: "Junko never said much in the presence of the fire. She hardly moved. The flames accepted all things in silence, drank them in, understood, and forgave. A family, a real family, was probably like this, she thought."

Having just read another little masterpiece, I was worried that my next book would be a letdown. How lucky I've been!

I'll return the book to the library. Let me know if you are interested.

Journal Entry 12 by 1001-library at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, October 04, 2013

This book is now back on the 1001 library bookshelf and can be borrowed by PMing Stoepbrak:)

Journal Entry 13 by wingStoepbrakwing at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (11/13/2013 UTC) at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa

The book is on its way to cinnycat in the USA. I posted it this morning, opting for surface mail. Quite often a registered package like this gets lucky and is included with items dispatched by airmail. Only time will tell.

International tracking number: RJ027466502ZA

Journal Entry 14 by BookBirds at Central Square, New York USA on Sunday, November 24, 2013

The book has arrived! thanks so much Stoepbrak! I appreciate the long journey. I'll write another journal entry when I'm done reading...