One City

by Alexander McCall Smith, Ian Rankin, Irvine Welsh | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
ISBN: 1904598749 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingAnnimanniwing of Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 12/29/2012
Journal Entry 1 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, December 29, 2012
From the publisher's website:

"One City by Alexander McCall Smith, Ian Rankin, Irvine Welsh, (Introduction by) J.K. Rowling

‘I am proud to live here and proud that my home city is committed to becoming a more inclusive place. OneCity Trust seeks to unify: I cannot think of a better goal, for Edinburgh, Scotland or the world.’ – J. K. Rowling

Alexander McCall Smith , Ian Rankin and Irvine Welsh have joined forces for the first time to write three interlinking stories about Edinburgh. The fact that the writers have such radically different takes on Edinburgh life – a social mix that ranges from Welsh’s Leith junkies to McCall Smith’s New Town haute bourgeoisie – makes for an intriguing read.

All proceeds from the book will go to the One City charity, which fights social exclusion in the city. Edinburgh’s Lord Provost Lesley Hinds said: ‘This book project is exactly what One City is all about. The idea of three successful Edinburgh authors, with very different perspectives, getting together to raise awareness and money by using their talent and creativity, is really exciting.’"

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, November 23, 2017
Three very different short stories bound together by Edinburgh and tigers ;) I enjoyed all of them quite a lot. McCall Smith was tender, Rankin intriguing and Welsh funny in a very black and gory sort of way. I especially love the way Welsh writes the local dialect; I could just hear them speaking.

Recommended!

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnneliswing at Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, November 27, 2017
This book I could not resist. Thank you for the book, Annimanni!

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnneliswing at Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, March 01, 2018
The three short stories were very different but I liked them all as well as the Introduction by J. K. Rowling. The book brought back memories from my two-day visit to Edinburgh. The visit was much too short but it was better than nothing at all.

This is my book #33 in the Reduce Mount TBR 2018 -challence by Dove-i-libri.

Journal Entry 5 by wingAnneliswing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (3/13/2018 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

I took the book to the meet-up in Helsinki and later to the meet-up in Tampere. No success.

Journal Entry 6 by wingAnneliswing at Manchester airport in Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Saturday, April 28, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (4/22/2018 UTC) at Manchester airport in Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom

I left the book on a bench.

Happy reading!