Grotesque

by Natsuo Kirino | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by LaPitchoune of Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 12/28/2012
Journal Entry 1 by LaPitchoune from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, December 28, 2012
First of all - what a challenge to label this: should it go under 'body and mind', 'sexual minorities' or plain 'crime'? Well, I took the easiest choice, since even the blurb talks about two prostitutes who are murdered in Tokyo, and similarly, the blurb uses the word 'thriller'. Well, to me the narrative itself wasn't that thrilling (Out by the same author was much more thrilling).

What I found more interesting in this story instead were the narrators. In the study of literature, this is a textbook example of 'unreliable narrator'. The text weaves several character profiles that are markedly different. You find yourself wondering who tells the truth, is there a truth to begin with, and how much of the content is someone's imagination. You merge into the messy, grotesque world of unsympathetic liars and prostitutes. In a way the book manages to paint a realistic picture about a dark underworld where the winners take it all and the losers have to fall. The only referees are the yakuza who just may step in to change the rules whenever they please.

I found this book on the shelf dedicated to Japanese literature in an excellent bookstore called Kinokuniya, in Malaysia. I also bought Out, which I will keep to myself for the time being. This, however, seems like quite a unique read, and a credible glimpse into the Japanese society - however warped in this novel. Enjoy!