The Emperor of Paris

by CS Richardson | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by gypsysmom of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 12/25/2012
Journal Entry 1 by gypsysmom from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Tuesday, December 25, 2012
This is a hardcover book. My sister-in-law asked me for a list of books that I might like to receive as Christmas presents and this was one of the ones I put on the list. I'm thrilled to receive it because I liked Richardson's first book, The End of the Alphabet. I also admire Richardson as a designer of book covers. That's one reason why I can't see giving up real books for ebooks--well-designed book covers really add to the adventure of reading. Interestingly the cover of this book was designed by Kelly Hill with Terri Nimmo but it's beautiful too.

Journal Entry 2 by gypsysmom at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Friday, March 08, 2013
CS Richardson did not disappoint. In its bare bones this is the love story between a facially scarred art restorer and a dyslexic baker but that synopsis doesn't do it justice. As the pieces come together slowly we learn how the baker's parents met and married before World War I and how the artist who drew the art restorer came to Paris and about the family that owned the book stall where the baker bought the picture of the art restorer. We also see little vignettes of the people on the periphery of the story. There's the black musician who plays on a board with piano keys painted on it and the rag woman with three hats perched on her head. There's the customer of the bakery who is jealous of the baker's wife for giving birth and stops buying bread from them but who has to come back because she can't get bread her husband likes elsewhere. The city of Paris is also lovingly drawn from the booksellers along the Seine to the Louvre to the Tuileries garden. I would love to read this book sitting in the sunshine in the Tuileries Garden. Maybe some day I will.