The Rose and The Beast: Fairy Tales Retold

by Francesca Lia Block | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingAzukiwing of Miami, Florida USA on 12/20/2012
Journal Entry 1 by wingAzukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Thursday, December 20, 2012
Pretty sure I got this as a birthday exchange, although I can't remember whom I got it from nor find a BCID inside the book.

This is a curious spin to the fairy tales. The setting is modern, vaguely Californian, and the characters are often troubled teens. Often there is only a barely recognizable glimpse of the original tale. In Block's world, Bluebeard is an L.A. promoter with hair dyed blue, Sleeping Beauty pricks her arm with a heroin needle, and Red Riding Hood's wolf is a child-molesting stepfather. The prose is beautiful, though at times not easy to understand, as little background information is given of the characters.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Monday, July 1, 2013
Sending to a great BCer!!

Journal Entry 3 by Tsjara at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, January 25, 2014
Aww.. *blush* Thank you so much Azuki! :D
A huge mysterious parcel arrived today all the way from Hong Kong.. with two more wishlist books and 5 mangas (bookray)! So kind of you! I really like fairy tale retellings and looking forward to read this. ^-^

Edit: Reserved for Merolia ;)

Journal Entry 4 by Tsjara at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, March 6, 2014

Released 7 yrs ago (3/3/2014 UTC) at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands

Wow, not sure what to think of this. Kind of different, but the writing is beautiful, poetical or maybe lyrical is a better word. There are 9 fairy tale retellings, though there were a couple I wasn't familiar with (Bluebeard and Snow Queen?). Put in a modern setting and with a dark twist, very interesting even if it wasn't always easy to figure out which story it was (maybe also because of the writing). However I did enjoy reading these short stories, some more than others (favorites were probably Snow, Beast, and Ice).
Thanks again for sharing the book azuki! :)

Off it goes to Merolia for a bookswap (travelling in the wrapsack ^_^)

Journal Entry 5 by Merolia at Halandri - Χαλάνδρι, Attica Greece on Thursday, March 13, 2014
This looks so good! I love fairytales, I wonder what the spins will be like. Thank you so much Tsjara for one of the loveliest parcels ever!

Journal Entry 6 by Merolia at Halandri - Χαλάνδρι, Attica Greece on Monday, March 31, 2014
Well, that was... interesting. I liked the atmosmphere, the inspiration from the tales and generally the writing, though it puzzled me at times, like there were things missing. But almost all stories had kind of unsatisfying endings -they felt rushed or flat. For me this was a good idea and the result was enjoyable, but it did not make it to its full potential. I think my favorite story was Glass. A bit surprising since the tale is not among my favorites, but probably it was because of the emphasis on storytelling and creativity.

I'd very much like to read more books with similar concept.

Thanks again tsjara!! This book will get ready for a new reader.

Journal Entry 7 by Merolia at Halandri - Χαλάνδρι, Attica Greece on Thursday, January 29, 2015

Released 6 yrs ago (1/28/2015 UTC) at Halandri - Χαλάνδρι, Attica Greece

This book was one of my additions to Lilyklip's bookxcerpting and it has finally been picked! On its way to the UK now.

Journal Entry 8 by wingmysteriousmummywing at Shefford, Bedfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, February 16, 2015
This book looks great thanks for sending

Journal Entry 9 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Sunday, August 25, 2019
Thank you for sending this well-read book... it really looks intriguing! :)

Journal Entry 10 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Thursday, November 18, 2021

Released 2 wks ago (11/18/2021 UTC) at Madrid, Madrid Spain

Sent today to the winner of the Book and Bookmark Sweeps... with some bookmarks.
Congrats on winning... and enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 11 by bookfrogster at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, November 25, 2021
And this is now in Edinburgh! Thank you for this and the extra lovely bookmarks. :-)

Journal Entry 12 by bookfrogster at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, November 27, 2021
I felt the same as Azuki and Tsjara about these stories. They were interesting takes on the original tales. I think my faves were probably Beast and Snow. Thanks for sharing this one Bookworm-lady.