The Birth House: A Novel (P.S.)

by Ami Mckay | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by indygo88 of Lafayette, Indiana USA on 12/17/2012
Journal Entry 1 by indygo88 from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Monday, December 17, 2012
"The Birth House is the story of Dora Rare, the first daughter to be born in five generations of the Rare family. As a child in an isolated village in Nova Scotia, she is drawn to Miss Babineau, an outspoken Acadian midwife with a gift for healing and a kitchen filled with herbs and folk remedies. During the turbulent years of World War I, Dora becomes the midwife's apprentice. Together, they help the women of Scots Bay through infertility, difficult labors, breech births, unwanted pregnancies and even unfulfilling sex lives.

When Gilbert Thomas, a brash medical doctor, comes to Scots Bay with promises of fast, painless childbirth, some of the women begin to question Miss Babineau's methods - and after Miss Babineau's death, Dora is left to carry on alone. In the face of fierce opposition, she must summon all of her strength to protect the birthing traditions and wisdom that have been passed down to her.

Filled with details that are as compelling as they are surprising-childbirth in the aftermath of the Halifax Explosion, the prescribing of vibratory treatments to cure hysteria and a mysterious elixir called Beaver Brew- The Birth House is an unforgettable tale of the struggles women have faced to maintain control over their own bodies and to keep the best parts of tradition alive in the world of modern medicine."

Obtained this through PaperBackSwap for my Secret Santa recipient!

Journal Entry 2 by indygo88 at Lafayette, Indiana USA on Monday, December 17, 2012
Wrapping up & going out today to my Secret Santa 2012 recipient! Merry Christmas!!! :')

Journal Entry 3 by Shwooz at Menominee, Michigan USA on Sunday, April 13, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (4/6/2014 UTC) at Menominee, Michigan USA

Sent to my doula pod mate!

Journal Entry 4 by LynnGorman at New Castle, Indiana USA on Saturday, April 19, 2014
This book was sent to me by my pod mate!

Journal Entry 5 by LynnGorman at New Castle, Indiana USA on Saturday, February 06, 2016
I really enjoyed this book especially since I work with pregnant & laboring women as a doula!

Journal Entry 6 by LynnGorman at CafeRoyal-OBCZ in New Castle, Indiana USA on Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (6/30/2016 UTC) at CafeRoyal-OBCZ in New Castle, Indiana USA

To the finder of this book:

Welcome to BookCrossing, a unique community of book lovers, who are sharing their libraries with the world. This book is now yours to read, keep, or pass along to another reader.

Each copy of a book registered at BookCrossing has a unique ID# (BCID#). We are able to follow where each book goes through this ID#. We would be very happy if you would make a journal entry to say you have found the book. It is fun for other readers of this book to see where the book has traveled-sometimes around the world!

BookCrossing is free to join, completely confidential, and you can remain anonymous (you are only known by your screen name & your e-mail is never shared). If you choose to join please consider using me, LYNNGORMAN, as your referring member.

Happy reading!