Iceland's Bell

by Halldor Laxness | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by greedyreader of Oakland, New Jersey USA on 11/21/2003
Journal Entry 1 by greedyreader from Oakland, New Jersey USA on Friday, November 21, 2003
A recent forum discussion about Laxness made me spend FULL PRICE for a book. More about this after I've read it.

Journal Entry 2 by greedyreader from Oakland, New Jersey USA on Wednesday, May 18, 2005
I really liked this book a lot more than Independent People, the other Laxness book I have read.

The story is about Iceland at the end of the 17th century, when the people are poor and down trodden, and a Danish colony. A thief and rogue, Jon Hreggvidsson, is accused of killing one of the king's men. He is released by the noblewoman (because she wants to create mischief due to her father and her 'lover') and it sets into action a lot of political and personal repercussions that surface throughout the book.

As much as I enjoyed this book, I took frequent breaks in reading -- something that I rarely do. Don't ask me why, since I loved reading it every time I picked it back up.

Journal Entry 3 by greedyreader from Oakland, New Jersey USA on Friday, May 20, 2005
mailing to nut

Journal Entry 4 by nut from Kilkenny City, Co. Kilkenny Ireland on Tuesday, June 07, 2005
Thank you GreedyReader!
I saw this for sale in a few places in Iceland. I was glad I knew this was coming so I wasn't tempted to pay ridiculous Icelandic prices!

Journal Entry 5 by nut from Kilkenny City, Co. Kilkenny Ireland on Tuesday, June 13, 2006
Oops, did I not journal this? I read it a few months ago. I should say finished it a few months ago - it took me a couple of months to read. It just seemed to be very hard going for some reason, even though I was interested and wanted to know what was going to happen. I liked that I could picture some of the places from having been there last year, though of course it's very different now. A lot more shops and a lot less starving peasants for a start!
I left it around for my husband to read as we went Iceland for our honeymoon, but he hasn't picked it up yet, so it's available.

Journal Entry 6 by wingkiwiinenglandwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Tuesday, July 31, 2007
Nut passed this on to me during the Dublin book crossing meet up, as I have visited Iceland.

Thanks Nut

To be taken to NZ for a swap with Veganmedusa in February 2010

Journal Entry 7 by wingkiwiinenglandwing at Dunedin, Otago New Zealand on Thursday, February 11, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (2/11/2010 UTC) at Dunedin, Otago New Zealand

I am sending this book to veganmedusa as a RABCK, to celebrate my visit to New Zealand. I unfortunately didn't get a chance to read this book, and having visited Iceland I was hoping to, but I had to move out of my apartment so this is being sent to another reader.

Journal Entry 8 by VeganMedusa from Invercargill, Southland New Zealand on Friday, February 12, 2010
Thank you Kiwi. I hope you are having a nice time back in NZ. Will get Persepolis to you soon.