Disasters and Heroic Rescues of California: True Stories of Tragedy and Survival (Disasters Series)

by Ray Jones, Joe Lubow | Nonfiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 11/28/2012
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, November 28, 2012
I found this fair-condition trade paperback at the Used Book Superstore during their store-closing sale, and thought it looked interesting. It includes accounts of disasters great and small, from the infamous and tragic Donner Party to the 1906 San Francisco earthquake to bombings, fires, more recent quakes, mine disasters, and plane crashes. Some of these I'd heard about, others were new to me (such as the appalling munitions explosion at Port Chicago), and overall I found it an enthralling read. There's an extensive bibliography as well, with plenty of titles for further reading.

Not all of the incidents here had a strong "rescue" component, despite the emphasis on heroic rescues in the title, but those that did - the Donner Party, for example - demonstrated some true heroic persistence...

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, December 06, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (12/6/2012 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this book to the Rescue bookbox, which will be on its way to its next stop with BCer hyphen8 in Hawaii today.