Mortification: Writers' Stories of Their Public Shame

Look! A wild book!
by Robin Robertson | Nonfiction |
Registered by megami-no-ushi of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 11/21/2012
Journal Entry 1 by megami-no-ushi from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, January 27, 2013
I picked this book up at the local charity shop either for a RABCK or for my OBCZ shelf. I had a good chuckle at Margret Atwood discussing her first book signing in my hometown, where the Bay had for some reason put her among mens socks and underwear.

To the finder:
Welcome to bookcrossing! You have "caught" what we call a "travelling book." It is now your book to keep or to read and pass on to another reader and follow where the book goes. This is done by journal entries, so I really hope you'll journal it, if only to tell me you found it. You can do this anonymously, or sign up (free and private, no spam) and also be able to follow the book as it travels! If you do, please consider listing me, megami-no-ushi as your referring member.

Journal Entry 2 by megami-no-ushi at Brattleboro, Vermont USA on Monday, June 03, 2013

Released 7 yrs ago (6/3/2013 UTC) at Brattleboro, Vermont USA

Sending a box to a bookcrossing friend! When I saw that it had a contribution from Hiaasen, I knew I had to send it to you!

To the finder:
Calgary has an active group of BookCrossers that meet to swap books and discuss book crossing every second Saturday of the month at 11am at the Joshua Tree Cafe on Edmonton Trail. We always love to meet new crossers, so please join us any time you like!

Journal Entry 3 by wingStaxmanwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Tuesday, June 11, 2013
Received from megami-no-ushi. Many thanks!

Journal Entry 4 by wingStaxmanwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Sunday, January 17, 2021
I enjoyed this. I had to jump right to the section by Carl Hiaasen, of whom I'm a great fan (just check my bookshelf!). He braved a propeller-driven flight into Memphis and then a drive in pouring rain (and around a serious wreck) to a bookstore in a small town (which he doesn't name) in Arkansas.

As it happened, his book reading was on the same day as a chili cookoff (for which he'd declined to be a celebrity judge) and an Arkansas-Oklahoma football game. Turnout for his appearance: 0.

But judging by some of the other authors' experiences with their audiences, this may not have been the worst possible outcome.

Journal Entry 5 by wingStaxmanwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (1/21/2021 UTC) at Seattle, Washington USA

I'll be mailing this to LynnWrites in the near future. I hope she hasn't experienced mortification as a writer!

Journal Entry 6 by LynnWrites at Tucson, Arizona USA on Wednesday, January 27, 2021
This book was released to me by Staxman as a surprise: included in the box with a bookring book. Oh my... writers' stories of their public shame. Yikes. I will attack this one with trepidation. As a writer, nothing terrifies me more than an interview or stating something in print you can't take back. This one will be interesting.

Journal Entry 7 by LynnWrites at Tucson, Arizona USA on Sunday, February 14, 2021
Popping in and out of this one as I work through the novels stacked up on my nightstand. It's a series of shorts, so it's easy to pick up sporadically. Fun read. Wry, self-depreciating bits by writers on their public appearances.