We the Animals: A novel

by Justin Torres | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by zzz of Rakovica, City of Belgrade Serbia on 11/19/2012
Journal Entry 1 by zzz from Rakovica, City of Belgrade Serbia on Monday, November 19, 2012
In this groundbreaking debut, Justin Torres plunges us into the chaotic heart of one family, the intense bonds of three brothers, and the mythic effects of this fierce love on the people we must become.

"We the Animals is a dark jewel of a book. It’s heartbreaking. It’s beautiful. It resembles no other book I’ve read.”—Michael Cunningham

"A miracle in concentrated pages, you are going to read it again and again." —Dorothy Allison

"Rumbles with lyric dynamite . . . Torres is a savage new talent." —Benjamin Percy, Esquire

"A fiery ode to boyhood . . . A welterweight champ of a book." —NPR, Weekend Edition

"A tremendously gifted writer whose highly personal voice should excite us in much the same way that Raymond Carver’s or Jeffrey Eugenides’s voice did when we first heard it." —Washington Post

"A novel so honest, poetic, and tough that it makes you reexamine what it means to love and to hurt." —O, The Oprah Magazine

"The communal howl of three young brothers sustains this sprint of a novel . . . A kind of incantation." —The New Yorker

zzz's impression:::: semi-spoiler alert :::
An interesting story of three brothers mixed race but you have a feeling they are fully puertorriqueños, growing up in Brooklyn and talking about life in the language without euphemisms. In it's raw form.

I thought it will be fast read but it wasn't, partly because of book-not-related things but also because something was lacking in the story. There is a race issue as well as gay issue that is lurking throughout the novel until it shows up, poverty issue, struggle of low class, growing up in hostile surrounding and persisting but all of that has been told as if he's enumerating not allowing me to form any opinion of my own. I wasn't sympathize with them at all precisely because that was obviously what was expected.
The story was a little bit too monotone, chapters were exactly the same, nothing new happened until it finally did but I waited too long. Sometimes I wasn't sure whether my eyes are sliding the lines solely while my brain was somewhere else.

The style was (being a debut) quite pretentious, utterly reduced without any reason I could sense and as a consequence atmosphere disappeared along with (and that's probably the worst) emotional impact.

Now many people praised this incredibly so maybe it's me. *shrug*