Absolutely Faking It

by Tiana Templeman | Travel |
Registered by wingawaywithfairieswing of Sydney, New South Wales Australia on 11/15/2012
Journal Entry 1 by wingawaywithfairieswing from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, November 15, 2012
From randomhouse.com.au:
For Tiana Templeman, travel has always meant hiking boots and hostels, so when she wins a trip for two to stay at thirteen of the world's most exclusive five-star hotels, it sounds like the chance of a lifetime, an opportunity to see how the other half lives.But with a travel budget stretched tighter than the straps on their bulging backpacks, Tiana and her man have no room for diamonds and designer clothing (if they actually owned any in the first place). From the Ritz in Paris to the Dorchester in London and the Peninsula in Hong Kong, Tiana is faced with questions of etiquette she never thought she'd have to answer: is it all right to cook instant noodles beside the Chanel toiletries in the bathroom? How do you deal with tipping when you can't even afford a bottle of water from the mini-bar? And what on earth are you meant to do with a private butler? Through fourteen countries, over five months and with countless hilarious and mortifying adventures, Tiana learns that in establishments catering for those with champagne tastes, when you're on a beer budget, life can be harder than it looks.

Released 7 yrs ago (11/16/2012 UTC) at YHA Canberra City, Akuna Street in Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia

Left at the book exchange on the third floor.

Journal Entry 3 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, November 20, 2012
Picked up from the Canberra YHA book exchange.

^ ^
=+=
v

Journal Entry 4 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Wednesday, December 05, 2012
Loved it - a really fun glimpse into the hotels most of us only dream of ever staying in, and the contrasts of experiencing both ends of the travel market in one trip.

^ ^
=+=
v

Journal Entry 5 by wingdiscoveryloverwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Thursday, December 06, 2012
FutureCat gave me this last night at our meetup :D I've read a few chapters so far and am really enjoying it!

Journal Entry 6 by wingdiscoveryloverwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Saturday, December 08, 2012
This was a great book! I really enjoyed all the descriptions of different places, and while I too wish the authors had figured out how to fit in a bit earlier, I'm glad they figured it out in time to have a good time for the rest of their amazing holiday. I'm so jealous!!

Journal Entry 7 by wingdiscoveryloverwing at Blenheim, Marlborough New Zealand on Saturday, December 08, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (12/7/2012 UTC) at Blenheim, Marlborough New Zealand

Sending back to Oz to another world traveller friend, BargainQueen. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 8 by bargainqueen at North Nowra, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, December 26, 2012
I received this book in the mail from my good friend Discoverylover. Looks like something I will thoroughly enjoy!! I loved the card too, coincidentally the week before I received it I had a meeting in someone else's office and lo and behold they had one of those dragon flies in on their desk! Strange world we live in.
Thanks DL for your thoughtfulness.

Journal Entry 9 by bargainqueen at North Nowra, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, December 26, 2012
Thanks DL for your thoughtfulness.

Journal Entry 10 by bargainqueen at North Nowra, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, November 30, 2014
So I took this little treasure to Nauru with me and finished it in a couple of nights. It was ok, not riveting but entertaining enough to keep me ploughing through.
I had a similar experience trying to reconcile my (then) husband's love of 5 star hotels with my passion for traveling off the beaten track on our honeymoon in India. Needless to say none of that was destined to last lol.
Makes me sad that when she traveled, Syria was strange but accessible... And look what it is now!

Enjoy!