A Breath of Fresh Air (Ballantine Reader's Circle)

by Amulya Malladi | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by winglauraloo29wing of Edmonton, Alberta Canada on 11/9/2012
Journal Entry 1 by winglauraloo29wing from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Friday, November 09, 2012
On the night of December 3, 1984, Anjali waits for her army officer husband to pick her up at the train station in Bhopal, India. In an instant, her world changes forever. Her anger at his being late turns to horror when a catastrophic gas leak poisons the city air. Anjali miraculously survives. Her marriage does not.

A smart, successful schoolteacher, Anjali is now remarried to Sandeep, a loving and stable professor. Their lives would be nearly perfect, if not for their young son’s declining health. But when Anjali’s first husband suddenly reappears in her life, she is thrown back to the troubling days of their marriage with a force that impacts everyone around her.

Her first husband’s return brings back all the uncertainty Anjali thought time and conviction had healed–about her decision to divorce, and about her place in a society that views her as scandalous for having walked away from her arranged marriage. As events unfold, feelings she had guarded like gold begin to leak away from her, spreading out into the world and challenging her once firm beliefs.

Journal Entry 2 by winglauraloo29wing at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, April 09, 2014
Beautiful. Quiet and Deep. A wonderful book. So glad I read it.

Journal Entry 3 by winglauraloo29wing at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Friday, April 18, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (4/23/2014 UTC) at Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Sending as a RABCK to J4shaw. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wingJ4shawwing at Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Saturday, June 21, 2014
Book has arrived safe and sound with me in Northern Territory Australia.
Thanks for sending lauraloo

Journal Entry 5 by wingJ4shawwing at Bayles, Victoria Australia on Monday, January 05, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (1/7/2015 UTC) at Bayles, Victoria Australia

Took this travelling with me as I thought we might pass through India and wanted to 'theme read' it. I never got to India, but I did enjoy reading the book whilst in the Philippines!
I thought it was beautifully written, and the storyline was very emotionally charged, it couldn't not affect you.
This is the author's debut novel, and she has written more books since. I will seek out her other novels and look forward to enjoying more.

Releasing this book to tie in with the Send your current read RABCK hosted by Me! and also the 2015 Wishlist Challenge

Journal Entry 6 by rodespringbal at Roosdaal, Vlaams-Brabant / Brabant Flamant Belgium on Wednesday, January 14, 2015
OMG :-) thank you very much for this lovely RABCK. I had this book on my wishlist for a while.
Thank you!

Journal Entry 7 by rodespringbal at Roosdaal, Vlaams-Brabant / Brabant Flamant Belgium on Saturday, February 14, 2015
This is my current read :-)
I reserved it for the woman in fiction-vbb by Meg72. So I'm going to read it to send it when needed.

Journal Entry 8 by rodespringbal at Roosdaal, Vlaams-Brabant / Brabant Flamant Belgium on Friday, February 20, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (2/20/2015 UTC) at Roosdaal, Vlaams-Brabant / Brabant Flamant Belgium

I didn't like this one quite as much as 'The Mango season".It seemed to me that every chapter, excluding the beginning ones, began the same. It also was at times confusing to tell whether the main character was reminiscing on the past or in the present.

Hope that it finds a reader soon.

Will be send this weekend to Meg72.

Journal Entry 9 by Meg72 at Ílhavo, Aveiro Portugal on Sunday, March 01, 2015
Book arrived, safe and sound. Thank you!

Journal Entry 10 by Meg72 at Ílhavo, Aveiro Portugal on Wednesday, October 07, 2015
Simplicity is, often, the best answer and this book was just perfect in its straightforward, no nonsense way of telling an ordinary story.

In 1984, Anjali is caught in the middle of the Bhopal gas leak accident at the local train station and suffers permanent damage to her respiratory system. After finding out that her husband, Prakash, didn´t come and pick her up at the station because he was with his mistress, Anjali decides to divorce him, an action which shuns her from polite Indian society. Nevertheless, she returns to university, gets her degree and marries a professor, Sandeep. Years later, she finds out that Prakash is living in the same town and anger, bitterness and doubt take hold of her, threatening to ruin her current marriage and the lifestyle she fought so hard for.

You follow the story through the eyes of the three main characters, which really pulls you in the emotional drama. I felt sad, angry, revolted and many other emotions in this rollercoaster ride and, in the end, I cried with relief after so many tense situations. The author is very good at painting a picture of the traditional Indian society, where women are supposed to obey there husbands, never confront them and live on the charity of relatives when widowed. Anjali showed great courage in confronting society – even her parents would have preferred to see their daughter in a miserable marriage, than get a divorce! There is no “sugar” in this book; the pill is quite hard to swallow… But it is fantastic this way!

Journal Entry 11 by Meg72 at Ílhavo, Aveiro Portugal on Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (3/29/2017 UTC) at Ílhavo, Aveiro Portugal

I really loved this book and I hope you enjoy it too, MargaridaB!

Journal Entry 12 by MargaridaB at Costa da Caparica, Setúbal Portugal on Tuesday, April 04, 2017
Book arrived! Thank's ;)