A Backward Place

by Ruth Prawer Jhabvala | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0719561957 Global Overview for this book
Registered by Tamsine of Strasbourg, Alsace France on 11/5/2012
Journal Entry 1 by Tamsine from Strasbourg, Alsace France on Monday, November 05, 2012
all her novels are similar. nevertheless, I always enjoy immersing myself in her bittersweet and enchanting stories.

Journal Entry 2 by Tamsine at lisboa, -- Por correio / mão própria -- Portugal on Monday, November 19, 2012

Released 8 yrs ago (11/19/2012 UTC) at lisboa, -- Por correio / mão própria -- Portugal

mailed to Nakipa. Enjoy !

Journal Entry 3 by wingNakipawing at Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Saturday, November 24, 2012
It arrived yesterday. Thank you so much Tamsine, for sharing this book with me :D

Journal Entry 4 by wingNakipawing at Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Wednesday, November 25, 2020
This was my first novel for this author and it was a good book although it took me too long a time to read it. I guess I have a bit of trouble to read books whose characters I don't really appreciate completely.

On to its next reader soon

Journal Entry 5 by wingNakipawing at Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Thursday, November 26, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (11/26/2020 UTC) at Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal

Here goes this book to the north of Portugal, as part of the Bookbox que já não encolhe. I hope you enjoy this one.

Journal Entry 6 by Pequete at Bragança, Bragança Portugal on Saturday, December 05, 2020
It's with me, thank you so much. I will be reading it soon.

Journal Entry 7 by Pequete at Bragança, Bragança Portugal on Thursday, January 07, 2021
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. Ruth Prawer Jhabvala's writing reminds me of Somerset Maugham's, with its deceptive simplicity, flowing so naturally and beautifully.

I enjoyed the story and the insightful depiction of the different characters, a group of expats living in India and their Indian friends and spouses. I also liked the subtle irony of the descriptions and the obvious love of the author for the country, with all its chaos and poverty but also its energy, richness and beauty and the way the different characters adapt (or not) to it.

Thank you Nakipa and Tamsine, this was a really great read! The book is now available for other readers.