corner corner The Demon in the Freezer: A True Story

The Demon in the Freezer: A True Story
by Richard Preston | Unknown
Registered by wingBkind2bookswing of Clarksville, Tennessee USA on 10/29/2012

status (set by raralovestoread): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingBkind2bookswing from Clarksville, Tennessee USA on Monday, October 29, 2012

Excellent scientific thriller - Preston writes with such passion that it feels like fiction and is all the more horrifying because it all occurred. He looks at the anthrax attacks that followed 9/11 and describes the transmission of the bacteria. Then he takes us on a journey through the great Eradication of smallpox - A singularly significant medical achievement. Smallpox is a vile disease that makes AIDS and Ebola seem tame in comparison. However, there was an undercurrent that Preston brings to light - a controversy in the scientific and research communities regarding what to do with smallpox - should the virus be kept for research purposes or utterly destroyed? There is a case for keeping it considering that there are almost certainly more than the 2 known repositories (in Russia and at CDC). The knowledge is out there and terrorists could certainly use it to inflict massive casualties. The other argument, that it should be destroyed, has lots of merit as well. In the end there is no satisfying conclusion, but that's real life for you. His conclusion is powerful: "We could eradicate smallpox from nature, but we could not uproot the virus from the human heart."

I have had this for sometime and cannot believe that it wasn't registered. Probably got from the library booksale as it has no stamp from my favorite used book store.

Journal Entry 2 by wingBkind2bookswing at Clarksville, Tennessee USA on Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Adding to booklady331's Nonfiction VBB

Journal Entry 3 by wingBkind2bookswing at Clarksville, Tennessee USA on Saturday, January 30, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (2/1/2016 UTC) at Clarksville, Tennessee USA

Sending from the Nonfiction VBB

Journal Entry 4 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Sunday, February 07, 2016

Book arrived today in the mail - barely. The cover was ripped half opened, but it made it. Thank you so much for sharing this book with me. I do enjoy some true crime once in a while.

Journal Entry 5 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Monday, June 06, 2016

This is my 2nd book by Preston. He does write in such a way that it appears to be fiction. I found this story of smallpox interesting. My hats off to the men and women who dedicate their lives to keep the rest of us safe. Thank you.

Reserving the book for the Non-fiction VBB

Journal Entry 6 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Monday, September 18, 2017

Since no one has chosen this book, I am removing it from the VBB and making it available.

Journal Entry 7 by wingbooklady331wing at mail in Cape Coral, Florida USA on Saturday, January 20, 2018

Released 1 mo ago (1/20/2018 UTC) at mail in Cape Coral, Florida USA

Enjoy! Traveling in Iwillrejoice's "P" author bookring. Looking for a new reader.

Journal Entry 8 by raralovestoread at Ponchatoula, Louisiana USA on Saturday, February 10, 2018

I have chosen this book from iwillrejoice's ABC Authors Book Rings - US version - Letter P. Thanks for sharing!