The Woman in Black

by Susan Hill | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingkeeta1wing of Whitianga, Waikato-Coromandel New Zealand on 10/27/2012
Journal Entry 1 by wingkeeta1wing from Whitianga, Waikato-Coromandel New Zealand on Saturday, October 27, 2012
Arthur Kipps, a junior solicitor, is summoned to attend the funeral Mrs Alice Drablow, the house's sole inhabitant of Eel Marsh House, unaware of the tragic secrets which lie hidden behind the shuttered windows. The house stands at the end of a causeway, wreathed in fog and mystery, but it is not until he glimpses a wasted young woman, dressed all in black, at the funeral, that a creeping sense of unease begins to take hold, a feeling deepened by the reluctance of the locals to talk of the woman in black - and her terrible purpose

Journal Entry 2 by wingkeeta1wing at Howick, Auckland Province New Zealand on Saturday, January 26, 2013
A very well written ghost story.

Journal Entry 3 by wingkeeta1wing at By Post, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Released 8 yrs ago (1/30/2013 UTC) at By Post, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases

Travelling to Flambard with thanks.

Journal Entry 4 by Flambard at Horsham, West Sussex United Kingdom on Thursday, February 7, 2013
How very, very kind! What a wonderful surprise! Thank you so very much!

Journal Entry 5 by Flambard at Horsham, West Sussex United Kingdom on Saturday, March 23, 2013
Stylish, accomplished and atmospheric. It owes not a little to MR James (I rather liked the reference to "Whistle And I'll Come To You"). It certainly harks back to the early 20th century in style as well as setting, and is all the more eerie for it. A good read!
Cadaver Tomb

Journal Entry 6 by Flambard at Horsham, West Sussex United Kingdom on Monday, April 8, 2013
This book is heading off on a bookray. Please journal on receipt, read within 4 weeks of receipt if possible, and make release notes when you pass it on.

Participants are

alexiapapa (Greece)
Tsjara (Netherlands)
carelaisa (Canada)
collin26 (Philippines)

Journal Entry 7 by Flambard at by Post, Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, April 14, 2013

Released 8 yrs ago (4/14/2013 UTC) at by Post, Bookray -- Controlled Releases

To Greece

Journal Entry 8 by alexiapapa at Larissa / Λάρισα, Larisa Greece on Tuesday, April 23, 2013
Send to me by Flambard for the bookray! Thanks :)

Journal Entry 9 by alexiapapa at book ring/ray, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, May 9, 2013

Released 8 yrs ago (5/9/2013 UTC) at book ring/ray, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases

A very nice and good written ghostly book! I really enjoyed it :)
Send to Tsjara as part of bookray!

Journal Entry 10 by Tsjara at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Monday, May 13, 2013
Arrived here safe and sound (nice stamps on the package too). Thanks for sending alexiapapa (and for the lovely note)! I look forward to reading this.. (saw the movie some time ago - had me jumping in my seat a couple times :p). Thanks Flambard for organising the bookray!

Journal Entry 11 by Tsjara at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, May 26, 2013
This was a nice creepy ghost story, I enjoyed it a lot. Well written and very atmospheric. Also had a nice twist at the end... (and it was a bit different from the movie :p)

I will send the book to Carelaisa later this week (funny, she was the one who send me the only other Susan Hill book I have read - The Man in the Picture). :)

Journal Entry 12 by Tsjara at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, May 30, 2013

Released 8 yrs ago (5/30/2013 UTC) at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands

On its way to carelaisa. Happy reading! :)

Journal Entry 13 by wingcarelaisawing at Québec, Québec Canada on Wednesday, June 5, 2013
I received the book today!

I'm looking forward to read it, it should be quite interesting...

Thanks Flambard for organizing the bookray and Tsjara for sending it my way (with some tea and nice stamps on the envelope!)!

Journal Entry 14 by wingcarelaisawing at Québec, Québec Canada on Tuesday, June 18, 2013
I must say it, Susan Hill has a way to build up an atmosphere that leads to a big climax. Once again, like The Man in the Picture, it all starts like something is taken out of context by a character, made a mountain of it for no reasons, but slowly leads to an event that is unforeseen by everyone. I really had a great time reading it; I did not make nightmares not it prevented me from sleeping. I was simply drawn into the story. The writing is hooking, fluid and the story very easy to follow. I will say this though: if you have seen the movie, the ending of the movie is slightly different from the one of the book.

I have the address of the next bcer, collin26, so the book will be mailed later this week.

EDIT: the book is now travelling, as of June 20th.

Journal Entry 15 by rem_collin26 at Dasmarinas, Cavite Philippines on Sunday, July 14, 2013
Thanks for sending this book to me, with special note from carelaisa. Thanks!

Journal Entry 16 by rem_collin26 at Dasmarinas, Cavite Philippines on Sunday, August 11, 2013
So eerie and atmospheric, yet very sophisticated in style. The last chapters make you know that Mr. Kipps can make it out well, or do you? Very cool and totally well written.