Dolls, Vol. 2

by Yumiko Kawahara | Graphic Novels |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 10/22/2012
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, October 22, 2012
I got this fair-condition softcover from Better World Books. It continues the series of stories about "plant dolls", beautiful living dolls that respond to loving care, and wilt and die under neglect. I enjoy the artwork, the haunting quality, the variety of storylines from tragic to heart-warming, and the touches of humor.

The first story has some loan sharks discovering an abandoned plant doll at the home of clients who've defaulted on a loan; they take the doll as collateral, and the younger man is assigned to look after her. He's unnerved by her and doesn't know what to do - there's a very funny scene where he ventures into the plant-doll shop and tries to learn about their care from the Mysterious and Beautiful shop owner without tipping him off that the doll was abandoned. The story takes some unexpected turns, and calls back to a plot point from one of the previous volume's stories, the "Tears of Heaven".

Another tale features a doll that's a key element in an inheritance scheme; another bittersweet story has to do with a plant doll that thinks it's human. "Princess Jewel" is another one that induced some sniffles in me - it features a young boy whose sister died, and whose parents seem to have forgotten his existence, seeking only a replacement for the girl.

A more upbeat story involves a divorcee who acquires a plant doll to soothe her loneliness - and learns a few things from her.

Then there's the story of the singing plant-doll whose history is laden with her owners' deaths; this one takes some fascinating twists.

There's a non-plant-doll story at the end, a haunting little tale. And an essay by the author on the Victorian fashion for frail, doll-like girls...

Volumes:

Volume One
Volume Two
Volume Three
Volume Four

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (8/28/2013 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

This 4-volume set will be on its way to BCer megi53 in Virginia, to kick off the bookray. (See Vol. 1 for the mailing order.) Enjoy!

*** Released as part of the 2013 One Word Title release challenge. ***

Journal Entry 3 by Megi53 at Danville, Virginia USA on Monday, September 02, 2013
I returned from a Labor Day weekend out of town to find this book and its three companions on my front porch. I'm looking forward to reading them!

Journal Entry 4 by Megi53 at Danville, Virginia USA on Sunday, October 13, 2013
I wasn't as enraptured with this volume as I was with #1 (or as I'm finding myself with #3, for that matter).

However, it certainly had its good moments. My favorite story here was "The Role of an Angel", in which a model/actress has her life transformed by her new plant doll. I loved the heroine's saucy personality, and laughed aloud at that burly photographer saying he was "getting the shivers".

"Princess Jewel" had an admirable young lead character, and we got to see the intriguingly fashioned doll shop owner outside his place of business and driving his car!

The first story, "Blue Doll", was touching and flowed well, with a very fulfilling ending.

The essay at the end, by Toyoko Yamada, had some interesting points about -- fittingly for a book about plant dolls -- greenhouses.

Journal Entry 5 by Megi53 at Danville, Virginia USA on Thursday, November 07, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (11/5/2013 UTC) at Danville, Virginia USA

Mailed from Ballou Park post office to the next person on the bookray.

Tracking number: 9114 9011 5981 8051 3803 98

Journal Entry 6 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Tuesday, November 19, 2013
The dolls arrived today, and are waiting (more-or-less patiently) to be read.

Journal Entry 7 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, January 05, 2014
More intriguing stories: the search for "that girl" was indeed bittersweet, and I felt for the surviving child in "Princess Jewel".

The dolls have much more control over their circumstances than their owners realize, and the shopkeeper doesn't get any less mysterious as the series continues.

Journal Entry 8 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, January 19, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (1/18/2014 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

The dolls are headed out in search of a new friend. See volume 1 for tracking number.

Journal Entry 9 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Monday, March 10, 2014
I've read this series years ago but glad for another chance to read it again. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 10 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Saturday, April 05, 2014
Quite an interesting collection of stories here. I like Blue Doll, The Missing Doll and The Role of an Angel. This collection has quite a few happy endings, seeming to assure us that owning a plant doll can be a happy thing. Though I'm sure I can never afford one. And it spooks me to have a living, life-size doll sitting in my house...

Journal Entry 11 by HI77 at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Wednesday, April 16, 2014
When your angle of view

seems a bit odd,
you're probably too far to the left.

Journal Entry 12 by HI77 at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Friday, March 31, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (3/28/2017 UTC) at Fort Myers, Florida USA

As I said before, it's nice to read this series from beginning to end. But the flip side, is some of the gags get old, like the sticker shock of the price of the plant dolls.

The story with the young boy who his mother never really looks at, is pretty sad. I wanted to slap her. Grief or not, you don't do that to your child.

And the story with the singing doll, is definitely twisted. I could see that dark turn it was going to take with the guy and how it would destroy his relationship with his girl. She was far more understanding than I would be.

I do like to see the different angles of how these dolls would affect people.

To those new to this site:

"What is BookCrossing?'

It's the World's Library. It's a smart social networking site. It's a celebration of literature and a place where books get new life. BookCrossing is the act of giving a book a unique identity so, as the book is passed from reader to reader, it can be tracked and thus connecting its readers. There are currently 1,217,936 BookCrossers and 10,415,496 books travelling throughout 132 countries. Our community is changing the world and touching lives one book at a time.

This book is yours to keep, or read and pass on. Whichever you prefer is always ok!

We hope that you'll leave a journal entry here on where you found the book, or what you intend to do with it, or what you think of it. Anything you like really.

Even better if you join the site and become part of our group!

If you do join, please put 'HI77' as your referring member! :D