The Cat

by Edeet Ravel | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingSqueakyChuwing of Rockville, Maryland USA on 10/21/2012
Journal Entry 1 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Saturday, March 23, 2013
This trade paperback is an uncorrected advance proof I won from the Early Reviewers program at LibraryThing.com. I read this book as part of the March, 2013, TIOLI challenge on the 75 Books in 2013 Challenge group on LibraryThing.

Journal Entry 2 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Saturday, March 23, 2013
The title is a ploy. This book is not about a cat. It's about a woman who lost her eleven-year-old son in a tragic accident. I'll admit that I would not have read this book had I known how the book dwelt on the profound sadness of Elise, the mom, after a car driven by a child psychiatirst (of all people!) hit and killed her son.

This is a painful read. I think it's not only painful for anyone who has lost a chld, but also for those who have (any age) children and have even the slightest fear of losing them.

One quote I found in this book seemed especially insightful to me and is worth noting here. These were the words of Elise:

"Maybe tragedy brings out cruelty in people. Maybe that’s how they distance themselves. They’re afraid of contamination."

Elise had a tough life as she was born with a "stain", most likely a port wine stain, marking half oF her face. She had always been on the fringe because of her appearance. The loss of her one companion, her child, really unhinged me as a reader. The child's father had abandoned Elise to move in with another woman.

Yes, there was a cat--an affectionate one at that. However, even the comfort Pursie the cat gave to Elise did not lessen the discomfort of this read for me.

Why did I read it? I like the work of Edeet Ravel and have previously been impressed by her novels about Israelis. I'll continue to read her works, but I might just take more than a peek at the title before I dive in.

Released 6 yrs ago (4/21/2013 UTC) at Day of the Book (street festival) on Howard Avenue in Kensington, Maryland USA

I'm releasing this book at the Kensington International Day of the Book Festival in Kensington, Maryland, USA.

This afternoon street festival celebrates the International Day of the Book with live music, author readings, open microphone, activities for children and adults, storytellers, ...and books, books, books! Local authors, book artists, publishers, booksellers, and literary groups line Howard Ave in Historic Old Town Kensington to show, sell, and discuss their works. All activities are free, rain or shine.

Journal Entry 4 by DianeStraub at Kensington, Maryland USA on Monday, June 10, 2013
Picked this up at the Kensington Book Fair. It's OK. Kind of depressing with an abrupt ending that makes you think.