The Song of the Quarkbeast

by Jasper Fforde | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingdracessawing of Mönchengladbach, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on 10/20/2012
Journal Entry 1 by wingdracessawing from Mönchengladbach, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, October 20, 2012
Klappentext:
A long time ago Magic faded away, leaving behind only yo-yos, the extremely useful compass-pointing-to-North echantment and the spell that keeps bicycles from falling over.
Things are about to change. Magical power is on the rise and King Snodd IV of Hereford has realised that he who controls Magic controls almost anything. Only one person stands between Snodd and his plans for unimaginable power and riches.
Meet Jennifer Strange, sixteen-year-old acting manager of Kazam, the employment agency for sorcerers and soothsayers. She may only have one functioning Wizard and her faithful assistant 'Tiger' Prawns to help her. But one thing is certain: she will not relinquish the noble powers of Magic to big business and commerce without a fight.

I didn't read this book for any challenge but just for fun. And fun it was!
Zambini Towers ist still a mystical place. And it gets even more mystical this time, because of its second function: the possibility to store magical energy. To activate this extremly useful ability, you just have to find out the passthought: right words with right emotions. And you have to be firm with RUNIX, a language the enchantment was made in, but as old that noone uses anymore.
There are other things to mention: things that didn't want to be found, the translucent moose, many quarkbeasts, a supersonic ride on a flying carpet, a magic contest and not at last a great star-wars alike show-down.
I enjoyed the story verry much.

First Chapter begins with:

I work in the magic industry. I think you'll agree it's pretty glamorous: a life full of spells, potions and whispered enchantments; of levitation, vanishings and alchemy. Of titanic fights to the death with the powers of darkness, of conjuring up lizzards and quelling storms at sea; of casting lightning bolts from mountains, and bringng statues to life in order to vanquish troublesome foes.

If only.

No, magic these days was sinply useful. Useful in the same way that cars and dishwashers and can-openers are useful. The days of wild, crowd-pleasing stuff like commanding the oceans, levitating elephants and turning herring into taxi drivers were long gone, and despite the advent of a Big Magic to month before, the return of unlimited magical powers had not yet happened. After a brief surge that generated weird cloud shapes and rain that tasted of elderflower cordial, the wizidrical power had dropped to nothing before rising again almost painfully slowly. No one would be doing any ocean-commanding for a while, elephants would remain unlevitated and a herring wouldn't be losing anyone wanting to get to the airport. We had no foes to vanquish except the taxman, and the only time we got to fight the powers of darkness was during one of the Kingdom's frequent power cuts.

Journal Entry 2 by wingdracessawing at Mönchengladbach, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, December 26, 2012
Dieses Buch versteckte sich hinter dem 23. Türchen meines diesjährigen Adventskalenders und wird 2013 als Ray auf die Reise gehen.

Teilnehmer sind:

Annieselan aus Fulda
coco7 from Sprendlingen
...
du?

und zum Schluß darf es ausdrücklich weitergegeben bzw. ausgewildert werden.

Journal Entry 3 by wingdracessawing at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, December 30, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (12/31/2012 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Das Buch macht sich auf die Reise zum 1. Teilnehmer.
Ich wünsche spannende Unterhaltung!

Journal Entry 4 by wingrealkikuwing at Oldenburg, Niedersachsen Germany on Thursday, January 03, 2013
Juchu, das Quarkbeast ist da! Es wird auch gleich gelesen *freu*

Journal Entry 5 by wingrealkikuwing at Oldenburg, Niedersachsen Germany on Thursday, January 10, 2013
Das war wieder eine Lesefreude! Zwar war es nicht ganz so dramatisch wie der erste Band, aber das war ja auch kaum zu toppen. Und im nächsten Band gibt's dann auch wieder Drachen, die waren jetzt bloß grad auf Urlaub *gg*.
Und dann hatte ich mich ja zwischendurch, von Entzugserscheinungen stark gebeutelt und dem Dragonslayer ermutigt, doch an den neuen Thursday-Next-Band, diesmal in Englisch gewagt. Und da gab's auch die Sisterhood of the lobster:-)) Sehr nett, diese Eigen-Zitate!

Ich frage bei dem/r nächsten LeserIn an...

Journal Entry 6 by wingrealkikuwing at Oldenburg, Niedersachsen Germany on Monday, January 14, 2013

Released 7 yrs ago (1/14/2013 UTC) at Oldenburg, Niedersachsen Germany

Ist im Briefkasten auf dem Weg zu kittybrombeere

Journal Entry 7 by wingkittybrombeerewing at Aschaffenburg, Bayern Germany on Saturday, January 19, 2013
War heute nach dem Meetup im Briefkasten. Praktisch, da ich gestern abend mein anderes Ringbuch ausgelesen habe, unpraktisch, weil ich vom Meetup etlichen Lesestoff mit heim geschleppt habe.

Journal Entry 8 by wingkittybrombeerewing at Aschaffenburg, Bayern Germany on Tuesday, January 29, 2013
Hat mir sehr gut gefallen, auch wenn ich den ersten Band noch nicht kannte. Jennifer erinnert mich zwar sehr an Thursday, nur in einem anderen Setting, aber von diesen Charakteren kann die Buchwelt von mir aus noch ein paar gebrauchen. Außerdem ist es kein Plagiat, wenn man bei sich selber abschreibt. ;)

Journal Entry 9 by winglinguistkriswing at Solingen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Thursday, February 07, 2013
The Quarkbeast arrived safely the day before yesterday, but hasn't passed by the desk before. At first, I was slightly worried to find this actually is the middle part of a trilogy and I don't know the first volume, but it's actually really quite easy to get into the story, and peculiarities of the universe are nicely explained along the way. I'm only some 50 pages in at this point, but already convinced I need to get my hands on books 1 and 3 (and ideally copies of my own at some point). Splendid fun, and a great example that footnotes can be useful even in non-academic writing, and don't ever have to be tedious.

Also: Map of the UnUk. Great!

Journal Entry 10 by winglinguistkriswing at Solingen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, February 11, 2013
I've thought long and hard about this, but yes: The Song of the Quarkbeast is a 10-star-book. I'd even go so far as to say that, at least with regard to YA fantasy, Jasper Fforde is on a par with *gasp* Terry Pratchett. This book has everything in it to appeal to both younger and older readers, and it can be read on so many levels. It will work just fine if you catch none of the allusions, but it is immensely satisfying when you do spot one! (My -fairly obvious- favourites, incidentally, were the change of Industrial Magic to iMagic, and the nature of the Quarkbeast.)
It's rare to come across a book that is both so clever and so emotionally satisfying. I enjoyed all of the characters, most of which started out as stereotypes but quickly developed a personality of their own, and also admire Fforde's world-building abilities.
As over-the-top and outrageous as some of the aspects are, they never fail to tie in with some mundane little details of our own world and absolutely make sense.

If I'd have to find a hair in the soup, I'd point out minor inconsistencies, like the leather flying jacket that turns ito a woollen one two pages later, and a very few other tiny spots of sloppy editing (mostly where numbers are concerned). Somehow, this just adds to the charme of this fabulous story. More!!

Journal Entry 11 by winglinguistkriswing at by mail, by mail -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Released 7 yrs ago (2/13/2013 UTC) at by mail, by mail -- Controlled Releases

Ab die Post nach Clausthal! :)
----------------------------------------------
Hallo! Du hast also ein Buch gefunden, das bei Bookcrossing registriert ist! Wenn Du hier eine kleine Nachricht schreibst, weiß ich, dass es gefunden worden ist. Vielleicht hast Du auch Lust, mich wissen zu lassen, wie Dir das Buch gefallen hat und was Du als nächstes damit machen möchtest? Bookcrossing ist eine Plattform, die die "Wanderwege" von Büchern beobachtet -- anonym, kostenlos, garantiert spamfrei und ohne weitere Verpflichtungen!

Vielen Dank und viel Spaß mit dem Buch!

Journal Entry 12 by maju30 at Clausthal-Zellerfeld, Niedersachsen Germany on Thursday, February 14, 2013
The book arrived savely. I wonder if it has been read because it still looks new.

The previous journal entries sound very ineresting and I'm very curious about reading the book.

Journal Entry 13 by maju30 at Clausthal-Zellerfeld, Niedersachsen Germany on Friday, March 22, 2013
The book didn' t caught me wholely and I interrupted somewhere after the middle. I can't exactly explain why. Maybe I don't like children or young adult books at the moment?

Journal Entry 14 by maju30 at By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Friday, March 22, 2013

Released 7 yrs ago (3/21/2013 UTC) at By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

The book is on the way to the next reader.

Journal Entry 15 by CaptainCarrot at Dortmund, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, March 30, 2013
The book arrived today - thank you very much! I'll take it on holiday and hope for rainy days!

Journal Entry 16 by CaptainCarrot at Dortmund, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, April 15, 2013
QUARK!

Hooray, my favourite character is back! And now I know more about the King's Useless Brother - great title!
Thank you very much for sharing this book - I like all the books by Jasper Fforde, although I had a strange conversation in a bookshop last year concerning mountains of books called "Shades of grey", and I hoped for the sequel of a book by Fforde - PEINLICH!!!!!

And now the book will travel on to susiuni - have fun!

Journal Entry 17 by CaptainCarrot at Dortmund, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, April 15, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (4/15/2013 UTC) at Dortmund, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

Heute per Post zu susiuni abgereist - viel Spaß damit!

Journal Entry 18 by susiuni at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Sunday, April 21, 2013
Lieben Dank, ist bereits gestern angekommen.
Bin so gespannt aufs Lesen.

Und nach mir ist Komma dran, jipii. Dann kann ich das Buch bereits bei der Uncon weitergeben.

Journal Entry 19 by susiuni at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Monday, June 03, 2013
(dt.) Leider habe ich Teil 1 der Geschichte nicht vorab gelesen, und entgegen der Beschreibungen im Forum fiel mir das Hineinfinden in die Story sehr schwer. Es gibt doch zu viele Verweise auf die Vorgeschichte, sodass man sich als unerfahrener Leser etwas überfahren fühlt. Dennoch glänzt das Buch mit viel Witz und Wortgewandheit.
Das Buch ist bereits auf Reisen zur nächsten Station.
Danke fürs Mitlesenlassen!!!

(engl.) Unfortunately, I have not read book 1 of the story beforehand. And contrary to the descriptions in the forum it was hard for me to find into the story. There are too many references to book 1, so the inexperienced reader gets the feeling to have missed a lot. Nevertheless, the book shines with humor and eloquence.
The book is already travelling to the next reader.
Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 20 by Komma at Würzburg, Bayern Germany on Wednesday, June 12, 2013
Thank you for this bookring.

Journal Entry 21 by Komma at Würzburg, Bayern Germany on Sunday, July 28, 2013
War wieder wunderbar zu lesen, wenn ich auch erwartet hätte, dass der Bruder des Königs noch irgendeine Rolle zu spielen hat. Die nächste Adresse habe ich schon und das Buch kann demnächst weiter reisen.

Released 6 yrs ago (7/30/2013 UTC) at an anderer BCler in an anderer BCler, anderer BCler -- Controlled Releases

Das Buch reist nun zu Annieselan, viel Vergnügen bei der Lektüre

Journal Entry 23 by Annieselan at Fulda, Hessen Germany on Monday, August 05, 2013
Yeah, Jennifer is back! The second installment arrived today and I´m looking forward to read more about the strange life of Jennifer Strange (sorry....I just couldn´t help it). ;-)

Journal Entry 24 by Annieselan at Fulda, Hessen Germany on Sunday, August 11, 2013
I really enjoyed this book - it was a very good story with an interesting plot and very interesting characters. Jennifer reminds me somewhat of Thursday Next, but she´s still a unique character on her own. I was very happy that someone I really liked from book 1 returned in this book, yeah^^.
Jasper Fforde is on par with my other favourite author Terry Pratchett now, I can´t decide which one I like more. ;-)
I am eager to know what will happen in book 3. So if anyone starts a ring or ray - please let me participate!

Thank you for letting me join this ray, dracessa. I´ve already asked coco7 to send me her adress so the book can travel on.

Journal Entry 25 by wingcoco7wing at Sprendlingen, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Tuesday, August 20, 2013
The book is here, thank you. But I think I'd like to read the first one first.

Journal Entry 26 by wingcoco7wing at Sprendlingen, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Wednesday, October 30, 2013
I agree with everything linguistkris said about this book, and she said it better than I could.
Especially: " I'd even go so far as to say that, at least with regard to YA fantasy, Jasper Fforde is on a par with *gasp* Terry Pratchett." is true for me, too, including the gasp :-)
Love this series!

Journal Entry 27 by wingcoco7wing at Sprendlingen, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Monday, April 21, 2014
Geht nun per Post weiter an calisson.

Journal Entry 28 by wingcalissonwing at Heidelberg, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Saturday, April 26, 2014

Juchhu ein Wunschbuch,
danke schön fürs Schicken! Ich freu mich riesig, nun zu erfahren, wie es weitergeht mit Jennifer Strange.

Was ein Spaß! Davon mag ich mehr.

Journal Entry 29 by winglinguistkriswing at Solingen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, July 22, 2014
Great, thank you for allowing Jennifer to revisit with me! Unfortunately, my great plan of finding myself a copy if the first in the series first an then re-reading this hasn't so far worked out, but I'll care for the Quarkbeast lovingly until I can find a Dragonslayer to look after it. :)