Beer Blast: The Inside Story of the Brewing Industry's Bizarre Battles for Your Money

by Philip Van Munching | Cooking, Food & Wine |
Registered by JennyC1230 of Woodstock, Georgia USA on 10/12/2012
Journal Entry 1 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Friday, October 12, 2012
Book Description; Brewing, a venerable American industry, once was dominated by family-owned firms serving a loyal clientele. In the late 1970s, however, the conglomerates got involved, and the beer wars erupted. In Beer Blast, a veteran of the beer wars (from the famous Van Munching clan, importers of Heineken) shares his wealth of colorful, often amazing stories about the personalities, battles, and follies of the beer biz.

Journal Entry 2 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Thursday, June 13, 2013
My Review: This was an interesting book if you're a fan of beer, like me. The most interesting part was finding out that Sam Adams beer is not a microbrew and made in Pittsburgh not Boston. (personally, I felt really ripped off! Lol) I'm going to see if Lumbermoose wants to read it. If not, I'll save it for a Bookbox.

Journal Entry 3 by Lumbermoose at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Sunday, March 29, 2015
Read this one awhile back...very interesting history of the beer industry in the US.

Journal Entry 4 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Wednesday, July 08, 2015
Reserved for Booklady331's ABC VBB.

Lumbermoose gave this one back to me.

Journal Entry 5 by JennyC1230 at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Released 5 yrs ago (7/22/2015 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Sending to Booksandmusic from Booklady331's ABC VBB. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Monday, August 03, 2015
One of my choices from the ABC VBB. Thank you for sending it!

Journal Entry 7 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Monday, November 30, 2015
The history of beer in America and all the crazy stuff that gets done to sell it, all the in-fighting, all the idiotic decisions and lack of common sense, all the bigger than life personalities of the founders and owners of beer companies. It is a lot of fun to read. Personally, I don't drink beer or any alcohol. My last beer was probably in high school during the mid 1970's. I think it was Coors. I also don't watch sports, so I am unfamiliar with beer commercials. If you had asked me, before I read this book, for a beer slogan I probably could have come up with "This Bud's for you". So I am someone who really does not know beer. But that didn't stop me from enjoying this book, it is interesting reading. Statistics wise it doesn't look like things are so different now than when the book was published in 1997. Excluding microbrews, you still have Budweiser at the top. Bud Light is the best selling beer in America, Budweiser is third best selling, and they are still fooling around with ICE and lime flavors. Coors Light is the second best selling beer and Miller Light is the fourth best selling beer. Corona comes in fifth. On the list of the top twenty we still see Michelob Ultra, Heineken of 3 types, Miller High Life and Pabst Blue Ribbon. Lots of microbrews around which sound interesting. And even gluten free beer which doesn't have all bad reviews. Interesting world of beers out there.

Journal Entry 8 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Wednesday, February 17, 2016
I am listing this book in the non-fic VBB

Journal Entry 9 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Wednesday, May 04, 2016
Not selected. So it is going on my permanent shelf, for now anyway, as History.