A Year in Provence

by Peter Mayle | Travel |
Registered by rem_LovesOU on 10/6/2012
Journal Entry 1 by rem_LovesOU on Saturday, October 06, 2012
Life in the rural France wine making region.

Journal Entry 2 by rem_LovesOU at Carrollton, Texas USA on Sunday, December 01, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (12/1/2013 UTC) at Carrollton, Texas USA

Happy Birthday RABCK. Sent to Eponine38 in MA. Hope that it is a book you will enjoy.

Journal Entry 3 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, December 10, 2013
Thank you, LovesOU! I know I will enjoy this because anything having to do with France is fine with me :-) You chose well! Thanks for your thoughtfulness.

Journal Entry 4 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, April 21, 2018
I somehow ended up with two copies of this fun book. Here are my notes from the other copy:

I finally got around to this book that I've wanted to read for years! It did not disappoint. Though a bit dated (published in 1989) that made it all the more interesting in some ways. Mayle's description of the more popular places in southern France and the terrible crowds and traffic jams can only be much worse now, I imagine. But I loved the description of the small Luberon village he and his wife settled in, and loved meeting the neighbors, some of whom are quite eccentric, and learning about a very different lifestyle to mine.

It's a quick read, one chapter for each month of the year. Though I've read other books about people fixing up/renovating old houses in France, with its attendant chaos and not-always-reliable workers, I especially liked Mayle's writing style so it was a pleasure to read. From the chilly, damp winter through the hot summer to the grape harvest in fall and then on to Christmas, it was a nice journey through the year. I now hope to read his two (or more?) sequels.

My one gripe was that his wife is barely mentioned at all, especially by name. I thought that was odd.

Journal Entry 5 by wingeponine38wing at Reading Train Station in Reading, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, April 21, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (4/21/2018 UTC) at Reading Train Station in Reading, Massachusetts USA

Left on a bench outside the station at about 4:00 on this International BookCrossing Day. Hope the finder enjoys it!

Released for Keep Them Moving Challenge hosted by booklady331.

Welcome to BookCrossing!

I hope you enjoy the book!