corner corner Death Comes to Pemberley

Death Comes to Pemberley
by James P D | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by laure69 of Paris, Ile-de-France France on 9/26/2012

status (set by Minerva101): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by laure69 from Paris, Ile-de-France France on Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Not exactly a crime book as the truth doesn't comme from the investigation but from confidences. The imitation of Austen's style is rather good as far as I can see but P.D. James shows a little more of the lower classes of the country society. The development of the plot is something between Agatha Christie and Perry Mason. Not my favorite ones but the story remains entertaining.

International ray (order may change)
- bookworm-lady - Spain - intl
- sintra - Germany - Europe
- Rochester74 - Germany - intl
- lamilla - Belarus - Europe
- Cassandra2020 - UK - Europe
- menelwe - Switzerland - intl (asked to be skipped)
- elizardbreath - US - US
- mssaver - US

Journal Entry 2 by laure69 at Paris, Ile-de-France France on Sunday, October 07, 2012

The book left for bookworm-lady yesterday.

Journal Entry 3 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Thursday, October 11, 2012

And here it is, safe and sound!
Thanks for sharing it, Laure69; I will soon read it and pass it on.
It looks quite interesting!

Journal Entry 4 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Sunday, October 21, 2012

I will start reading it this evening; and I will ask for Tsjara's address in order to pass it on as soon as I finish.

Journal Entry 5 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Wednesday, October 31, 2012

I really liked it...
I must confess I have never been a great fan of Ms Austen's, but reading this novel made me want to read "Pride and Prejudice", which I have never done so far...
The writer introduces all characters in a preface, so it does not matter how familiar you are with them.
A great insight into a specific time and way of living, and a well-designed plot.
Good for Ms P.D. James, she has done it once again!!
Thanks for sharing, Laure69; I have Tsjara's address, and I will send her the book as soon as I return from a trip abroad (I'm leaving this afternoon).

Journal Entry 6 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Friday, November 23, 2012

Released 4 yrs ago (11/23/2012 UTC) at Madrid, Madrid Spain

Sent to Tsjara, next in the bookray.
Enjoy!!

Journal Entry 7 by wingTsjarawing at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Arrived here safely. Thanks for sending Bookworm-Lady and the nice little note.
Can't wait to start with this one (I love Pride and Prejudice, and quite curious about this 'sequel'). Thanks for sharing the book Laure69! :)

Journal Entry 8 by wingTsjarawing at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Released 4 yrs ago (12/17/2012 UTC) at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands

This was an enjoyable read, if not quite what I had expected. Many (new) names and their relationships/functions were mentioned at the beginning, which I found difficult to remember (but luckily not all of them were important), and there was more focus on the lower classes and servants. There was also quite a lot of information on the law/justice system of that time, which made the reading a bit 'dry'(?) sometimes. But there were some great sentences too (though I can't look them up and copy them here anymore :p).
Oh, and it was a nice surprise to see that James incorporated two other Jane Austen stories (Persuasion and Emma) into this one.

I mailed the book to Icila today. Hope you'll enjoy it! :)

Journal Entry 9 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Sunday, January 06, 2013

The book was safely waiting for me at home during the holidays. Thanks a lot for sharing and mailing.
(I had a lot of trouble to found the BCID) ;)

Journal Entry 10 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Thursday, January 10, 2013

Great job Mrs James ! (A bit fastidious concerning the trial though.)
I think I w'll read Pride and Prejudice again (and better than when it was a schoolwork;)

Journal Entry 11 by wingIcilawing at La Chapelle-sur-Erdre, Pays de la Loire France on Thursday, January 17, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (1/17/2013 UTC) at La Chapelle-sur-Erdre, Pays de la Loire France

On its way to Norway.

Journal Entry 12 by Askeladda at Skien, Telemark fylke Norway on Monday, January 28, 2013

P. D. James has arrived safely, Thank you! I'm looking forward to read the book.

Journal Entry 13 by Askeladda at Skien, Telemark fylke Norway on Sunday, February 03, 2013

Thank you, Mrs. James, it did gave lot of pleasure to read this novel:) Even if it's a crime story, I took myself in smiling several times because of the many references to Pridge and Prejudice. P. D. James characters are more able to have a dialoge between the men and women than Austen's, but then they have of course the adventage of ca.200 years of practicing.. I never liked Darcy's personality, so it was Great to read "the matters which have so long been on" his mind and "which should have been spoken of earlier" It took him 200 years to speak, but he managed in the end,in - the Epilogue.

Journal Entry 14 by Askeladda at by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, February 04, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (2/4/2013 UTC) at by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

-And P. D. James comes to Finland!
Thank's for the PM, the book is on it's way to Appelsiini today.

I hope you will enjoy the book:)

Håper du vil like boka du har funnet!
Les den, skriv et lite bokslipp notat og la boka reise videre!

Journal Entry 15 by Appelsiini at Lempäälä, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Monday, February 11, 2013

It's here! Thanks for sending, Askeladda! :)

Journal Entry 16 by Appelsiini at Lempäälä, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Sunday, March 17, 2013

I liked this one, although I hoped it would be more gripping than it was. The beginning surely was a bit boring with all those introductions and explanations. I also think end off this book was a bit "easy", after having this one difficult family member it was easy to make him "guilty" of all what happened. But anyway, enjoyable reading and of course I must admit, Mr. and Mrs. Darcy are my favourite.

Thanks for sharing! :)

Journal Entry 17 by Appelsiini at Lempäälä, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (4/2/2013 UTC) at Lempäälä, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

This book continues its journey! Travel safe! :)

Journal Entry 18 by sintra at Bonn, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, April 20, 2013

The book arrived safely yesterday and will be read as soon as I finish my current book. Thanks a lot! :)

Journal Entry 19 by sintra at Bonn, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, May 08, 2013

I quite enjoyed reading this book, like most novels by P.D. James really. She always has a great command of language and focuses a lot on detail and setting (which is why usually nothing really happens for the first 100 pages). Regarding the adaptation of Austen's novel and characters, I particularly liked that she also portrays those who had to work for their living as this offers a more balanced view on the society of the period.

Thanks for sharing this book with us! It will soon be on its way again.

Journal Entry 20 by wingRochester74wing at Gießen, Hessen Germany on Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The book arrieved today. Thank you :-)

Journal Entry 21 by wingRochester74wing at Gießen, Hessen Germany on Friday, June 14, 2013

This was a nice book. I always like to meet with Austens characters again:-)
Inbetween I hoped Colonel Fitzwilliam was the murderer because I disliked him more and more. If you want to know if I was right you have to read yourself ;-)
I thought the passages in the court were rather boring and the appearance of characters from other Austen novels were rather silly and unnecessary.

Thanks for sharing :-)
I have got lamillas adress and the book will travel on tomorrow.

Journal Entry 22 by wingLamillawing at Минск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus on Thursday, July 11, 2013

I manage to get the book from the post office today, hurray!

Journal Entry 23 by wingLamillawing at Минск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus on Thursday, August 08, 2013

Got the address of the next participant

The book is a pleasant, light read. Thanks for including me in this ring

Journal Entry 24 by wingLamillawing at Минск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus on Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (8/20/2013 UTC) at Минск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus

Sent to the next participant

Journal Entry 25 by Cassandra2020 at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, August 29, 2013

Thank you lamilla - received today! And thank you laure69 for kicking this booray off. Just started a new book yesterday, but expect to finish it today or tomorrow, so will read this one next

:-)

Journal Entry 26 by Cassandra2020 at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Death Comes to Pemberley by PD James - Dull

I remember when Pauline read this, it fell into the category "books I read so you don't have to"! Despite this warning, I signed up for a bookray & lo this dropped onto the doormat a few days ago.

I hang my head in shame at the next admission, I've never read any Jane Austen or seen any adaptation of her books. Despite this, I've read a few Austen inspired books and have been slowly working my round to the realisation that I'm going to have to bite the bullet and read the real thing (especially as I now want to read: Longbourn by Jo Baker). This book is the final straw.

It's not very good. I don't know what got into PD James, but it was stilted and the mystery wasn't particularly well drawn or...er...mysterious. It was pretty obvious what was going to happen.

Elizabeth & Darcy have been married for a few years and have a couple of children. On the eve of their annual Ball, her sister Lydia arrives, distraught: her husband and his friend have disappeared into the woods & shots have been heard. Darcy mounts an expedition and a body is found.

The rest of the book meanders about, not really telling you much until suddenly Darcy is at the Assizes giving evidence. The murderer is unmasked and everyone lives happily ever after.

Thing is, nothing much happens, there is no investigation. Between finding the body, arresting a suspect & the trial etc. NOTHING happens. Is Pride and Prejudice this dull? I wouldn't expect so. I think, maybe, PD James found writing in this style stiffled her.

On the plus side, it took just under 2 days to read and didn't challenge me, just filled in some time.

I hope the next reader enjoys it more than I did!

Journal Entry 27 by Cassandra2020 at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, September 05, 2013

menelwe has asked to drop out of the ray, so I'll PM the next on the list. Shame it's US postage, but c'est la vie!

Journal Entry 28 by Cassandra2020 at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, September 12, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (9/12/2013 UTC) at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom

Will be posting on to the next person, later today. Thanks for including me in this bookray, I hope the next person enjoys the book :-)

Journal Entry 29 by elizardbreath at Pendleton, Oregon USA on Wednesday, October 30, 2013

I received this a couple days ago. Headed in now to finish the one I'm on and start this. Thanks so much for sending it my way!

Journal Entry 30 by elizardbreath at A Fellow Bookcrosser in Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, November 10, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (11/10/2013 UTC) at A Fellow Bookcrosser in Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

We are 4 days away from a sudden move to Arkansas so I'm just not going to be able to read this right now! Thanks so much for including me though! Sending to the next in line tomorrow.

To the finder of this book:

Thanks, and Happy BookCrossing! :)

Journal Entry 31 by mssaver at Chicago, Illinois USA on Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Book arrived this afternoon. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 32 by mssaver at Potbelly's Sandwich Works -Davis St in Evanston, Illinois USA on Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (3/11/2014 UTC) at Potbelly's Sandwich Works -Davis St in Evanston, Illinois USA

Interesting book about Darcy and Elizabeth having to work about having a young girl screaming that her husband has been murdered. Of course, Darcy must work on that.

Journal Entry 33 by Minerva101 at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, April 17, 2014

I received this book in the mail today from mssaver as my selection from the Mystery and Thriller VBB hosted by bookstogive.
Thank you so much for sending it my way - looking forward to reading it!