what's the difference? how to tell Things Apart That are Confusingly Close

Registered by wingjudygreeneyeswing of San Diego, California USA on 9/15/2012
Journal Entry 1 by wingjudygreeneyeswing from San Diego, California USA on Saturday, September 15, 2012
"Nothing links person to person like the frequent passage from hand to hand of a good book."

This is an interesting little book. My kids and I have perused it many times and talked about the various distinctions defined in the book. What is the difference between a geek and a nerd? A democracy and a republic? A stream, a creek, and a brook? Vanilla and French Vanilla? Some cool stuff in here, and a nice book to pick up for a few minutes, set back down, and pick up again later.

Journal Entry 2 by wingjudygreeneyeswing at San Diego, California USA on Saturday, September 15, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (9/15/2012 UTC) at San Diego, California USA

Happy birthday princess-peapod!!!

Journal Entry 3 by princess-peapod at San Luis Obispo, California USA on Tuesday, November 06, 2012
I got this same book as a gift for a friend & now I can get my own chance to read it!
Thanks for all the fab stuff, books, scarf...everything!

Journal Entry 4 by princess-peapod at San Luis Obispo, California USA on Monday, January 28, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (1/28/2013 UTC) at San Luis Obispo, California USA

If you found this book while in the area of San Luis Obispo, CA. feel free to come by and check out Joe Mommas which houses our bookshelf! We also hold our local meetups on the first Tuesday of each month at 5pm there, please come join the fun! The books on the shelf are free to for you to read, enjoy and pass along to another!
Passing along to a fellow bookcrosser
"A book is a mysterious object, I said, and once it floats out into the world, anything can happen. All kinds of mischief can be caused, and there's not a damned thing you can do about it. For better or worse, it's completely out of your control."
Paul Auster

Journal Entry 5 by wingelizardbreathwing at Pendleton, Oregon USA on Thursday, February 14, 2013
Thanks so much for passing this along to me---looks like a fun one!

Journal Entry 6 by wingelizardbreathwing at Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on Wednesday, January 15, 2014
This was a fun little book---I learned several new facts! I was surprised by how many "vegetables" were actually fruit, and I'd never heard of the Greek Sphinx. Also, I am ashamed to admit that this is the first time I've truly understood the difference between a Democracy and a Republic! One comparison that I'd love to see addressed in a future edition is the difference between a yam and a sweet potato.

I'm reserving this for the Biography of Things bookbox.

I'm including this in the Biography of Things bookbox. I hope someone enjoys it!

To the finder of this book:

Thanks, and Happy BookCrossing! :)

Journal Entry 8 by wingmelydiawing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Saturday, August 17, 2019
I pulled this out of a bookbox years ago and it's been on my shelf and I haven't the foggiest idea why I never journaled it. Sorry about that!

Anyway, this book is very clever, full of surprisingly useful and interesting information interspersed with entertaining asides. I think my favorite was where they described the difference between your ass and a hole in the ground. A fun little read.

Journal Entry 9 by wingmelydiawing at Potbelly Sandwich Works (Carlyle Center) in Alexandria, Virginia USA on Sunday, August 18, 2019

Released 4 wks ago (8/18/2019 UTC) at Potbelly Sandwich Works (Carlyle Center) in Alexandria, Virginia USA

Bringing to the BCinDC meetup.
Welcome to BookCrossing!

Journal Entry 10 by wing6of8wing at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, etc, Virginia USA on Sunday, August 18, 2019
Looked interesting. Zippy wants to read it next.

Journal Entry 11 by wing6of8wing at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, etc, Virginia USA on Sunday, September 01, 2019
This book is well worth reading. Not only did I learn things like the differences between frogs and toads and between the types of writing credits on feature films, I learned about pots vs pans and Holland vs The Netherlands. Plus the little side blurbs were hilarious, explaining the difference between your ass, your elbow, and a hole in the ground, and that Jack (and the beanstalk), Jack (and Jill), Jack (be nimble), Jack Sprat, Little Jack Horner, and Jack (of the house that Jack built) are not the same guy. Instead, they are all brothers and the son of the lady who lived in a shoe.

Zippy wants to read this next.