Inheritance of Loss

by Kiran Desai | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Tanamo of Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on 9/6/2012
Journal Entry 1 by Tanamo from Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Thursday, September 06, 2012
High in the Himalayas sits a dilapidated mansion, home to three people each dreaming of another time.
The judge, broken by a world too messy for justice, is haunted by his past. His orphaned granddaughter has fallen in love with her handsome tutor, despite their different backgrounds and ideals. The cook's heart is with his son, who is working in a New York restaurant, mingling with an underclass from all over the globe as he seeks somewhere to call home.
Around the house swirl the forces of revolution and change. Civil unrest is making itself felt, stirring up inner conflicts as powerful as those dividing the community, pitting the past against the present, nationalism against love, a small place against the troubles of a big world.

Journal Entry 2 by Tanamo at Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, October 28, 2016
I'm afraid I didn't finish this book. I just couldn't engage with the characters and gave up about a third of the way through. I am now sending it to someone who has it on their wishlist and I sincerely hope they get more out of it than I did.

Journal Entry 3 by Tanamo at Swinstead, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Friday, October 28, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (10/28/2016 UTC) at Swinstead, Lincolnshire United Kingdom

Mailed to another bookcrosser.

Journal Entry 4 by kingfan30 at -- Somewhere in Lincs, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Saturday, October 29, 2016

6 Feb 18 - I normally love a book based in India, and rate them quite highly, this book however I struggled with. The chapters have been split into sections, some only a few lines long, but these seem to skip backwards and forwards in time and if you loose concentration for a bit you can easily loose where you are in the book. I did appreciate the theme of making your way in a place that's not home but overall the book didn't really work for me.

Journal Entry 5 by kingfan30 at Bourne, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 06, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (2/6/2018 UTC) at Bourne, Lincolnshire United Kingdom

Sent on as a RABCK

Journal Entry 6 by 4evagreen at Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Thursday, February 08, 2018
Book arrived safely. Thanks for sharing I look forward to reading it.