A Clash of Kings (HBO Tie-in Edition): A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Two

by George R.R. Martin | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by HoserLauren of Burlington, Ontario Canada on 9/5/2012
Journal Entry 1 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, September 05, 2012
Purchased this for myself.

From Chapters:
In this thrilling sequel to A Game of Thrones, George R. R. Martin has created a work of unsurpassed vision, power, and imagination. A Clash of Kings transports us to a world of revelry and revenge, wizardry and warfare unlike any we have ever experienced.

A comet the color of blood and flame cuts across the sky. And from the ancient citadel of Dragonstone to the forbidding shores of Winterfell, chaos reigns. Six factions struggle for control of a divided land and the Iron Throne of the Seven Kingdoms, preparing to stake their claims through tempest, turmoil, and war. It is a tale in which brother plots against brother and the dead rise to walk in the night. Here a princess masquerades as an orphan boy; a knight of the mind prepares a poison for a treacherous sorceress; and wild men descend from the Mountains of the Moon to ravage the countryside. Against a backdrop of incest and fratricide, alchemy and murder, victory may go to the men and women possessed of the coldest steel . . . and the coldest hearts. For when kings clash, the whole land trembles.

Journal Entry 2 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, September 05, 2012
In book 2 of A Song of Ice and Fire, multiple Kings are making claim to the throne. King Joffrey, the arrogant and evil young Lannister currently holds the throne but is too young to handle the strategies of war. His uncle, the Imp Tyrion Lannister steps in but has to dance around his sister in attempts to keep the city safe.

The two Baratheon brothers both believe they have valid claims to the throne and have a large army to back them up. When one falls, the other takes his men and tries to run up Kings Landing. However the men in black believe everyone is looking to the wrong area. There are wildlings in the north and they are starting to march.

This book picks up just where the last left off, with an additional point-of-view from Davos who serves Stannis Baratheon. His POVs started slow and had me slightly confused but eventually his story picked up.

I still very much enjoyed Arya (she has so much spunk) and Tyrion's stories. Those are my two favourite characters and think they'll remain so over the course of the series. Despite its length, this book will keep your attention for the entire 1000 pages and make you want to read the next book in the series.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, September 09, 2012
This book is with me :)

Journal Entry 4 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Thursday, April 25, 2013
Two great leaders—Lord Eddard Stark and Robert Baratheon, King of the Iron Throne of the Seven Kingdoms are dead. There is now turmoil and several men declaring themselves to be king. Robert's son Joffery, young, cruel and arrogant is the obvious king but is controlled by the Lannisters. His mother Cersai and his uncle Tyrion each try to put forth their own agendas. Robb Stark has declared himself the King of the North. Robert's brothers, Renly and Stannis have also declared themselves kings.

At the same time, the Wildings , north of the wall are amassing and might move south just as summer turns into winter.

Political intrigue, brotherly rivalry and people masquerading as servants while the country dissolves into war are all part of the story.

I found the story was sluggish in parts. About halfway through, the story did pick up and proceeded at a quicker pace. My two favourite characters are Arya and Bran. Both of them are so courageous.

Journal Entry 5 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, May 12, 2013
This book is back with me.

Journal Entry 6 by HoserLauren at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Sunday, July 22, 2018

Released 10 mos ago (7/21/2018 UTC) at Toronto, Ontario Canada

To the finder of this book: I hope you enjoy reading this book. Please keep it or set it free when you're done. If the book is of no interest to you, please release it into the wild for someone else to find and enjoy. I hope you will make a journal entry so its journey can be tracked and to let me know the book has been found. You can remain anonymous if you wish, but if you join BookCrossing, you are in for a great experience.