The Book Club Cookbook

by Judy Gelman, Vicki Levy Krupp | Cooking, Food & Wine |
ISBN: 158542322x Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 9/3/2012
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, September 03, 2012
I've been curious about this book for some time, so when I saw this somewhat-battered ex-library softcover copy at Better World Books I had to have it.

It's set up to provide suggestions for books and themed recipes for bookclub discussions, but I found it entertaining even without planning a book club get-together. There are brief writeups of many books here (several of which wound up on my want-list), with recipes that either emulate dishes mentioned in the books or that have something to do with the period or mood of the story. There are also little inserts about different book clubs across the country, often including members' comments on the books being recommended. (Among the more unusual suggestions: to accompany a reading of Endurance, the account of Ernest Shackleton's near-miraculous survival - with his entire crew - from a disastrous shipwreck in the Antarctic ice, there's a recipe for oatmeal biscuits. But, in a nicely snarky twist, the recipe isn't for the hard-as-iron, last-forever plain biscuits used by the British expeditions, but for a sweeter, richer, Norwegian-style recipe, in homage to Roald Amundsen!)

There's a recipe for treacle tart in the chapter on Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, apple puffs for Middlemarch (inspired by a scene where the motherly Mrs. Garth is making them while ne'er-do-well Fred waits to see her husband), a Puerto Rican coconut pudding for The Sparrow, and much, much more.

Among the mini-biographies of book clubs, one deals with the Inklings, a New York group named after the famed society featuring C. S. Lewis and J. R. R. Tolkien. They discuss their attempts to read Ulysses, something they couldn't do individually but succeeded at once they tried it together. Lots of other inspirational book-club stories here!

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (3/27/2013 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm putting this book in the Books about books bookbox, which will be on its way to its next stop today. Hope someone enjoys it!