To build a fire and other stories

by Jack London | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingCordelia-annewing of Someplace, Georgia USA on 8/31/2012
Journal Entry 1 by wingCordelia-annewing from Someplace, Georgia USA on Friday, August 31, 2012
I released a book of Atlanta poet James Dickey's poetry today to the Decatur Book Festival so I thought I'd register a book of one of Dickey's favorite writers, Jack London. This is one of the miniature "Penguin 60s" edtions published in 1995 to celebrate the sixtieth anniversary of Penguin books. I contains London's most famous short story, "To Build a Fire" as well as "The Chinago" and "Love of Life." "To Build a Fire and Other Stories," the Penguin edition this represents, is still in print but these little books are scarcer and scarcer. Besides these three works, the full collection contains more of Jack London's most esteemed short stories including: To The Man On The Trail, The White Silence, In A Far Country, The Wisdom Of The Trail, An Odyssey Of The North, The Law Of Life, The God Of His Fathers, Bâtard, The League Of The Old Men, The Wit Of Porportuk, All Gold Canyon, The Apostate, South Of The Slot, A Piece Of Steak, Mauki, Koolau The Leper, The Strength Of The Strong, War, The Mexican, Told In The Drooling Ward, The Water Baby, and The Red One.

Journal Entry 2 by wingCordelia-annewing at some place, Somewhere -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, October 17, 2013
This little book was the perfect, compact read for me yesterday. It fit in my smallest purse and was a great companion while I waited in the doctor's office. I liked the arrangement of these three stories together. Collected this way, they form a trilogy that considers life, death and survival in the experiences of three very different characters. Reading this left me with a longing to read more London.

Journal Entry 3 by wingCordelia-annewing at Albuquerque, New Mexico USA on Thursday, October 17, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (10/17/2013 UTC) at Albuquerque, New Mexico USA

For a bookcrossing friend, survivalist stories.

Journal Entry 4 by winglabmomnmwing at Albuquerque, New Mexico USA on Monday, October 28, 2013
Sorry to be so slow to journal this - I've been more of a space-cadet than usual, lately! I grew up on London's stories, so already have these in other collections, but it will be perfect to add to the books I plan to send to another BookCrosser for an "Outdoors Fest" book release in the spring.

Journal Entry 5 by winglabmomnmwing at By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, February 08, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (2/8/2014 UTC) at By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Sending with some BC Supplies to a BookCrosser in a place associated with London, but not with these stories :-)

Journal Entry 6 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Thursday, February 13, 2014
Thanks for the release bags - I can definitely use them since it's our rainy season. (Also, I notice that these are the larger size, and I didn't have any of those, so they're doubly welcome!)

Oh, and I love these little Penguin 60s, so thanks for the bonus book!

(Larger photo here.)

The Time Machine by H.G. Wells
The Wife of Bath by Geoffrey Chaucer
Young Goodman Brown by Nathaniel Hawthorne
Youth by Joseph Conrad

Journal Entry 7 by winghyphen8wing at Blaisdell Center in Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, February 18, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (2/18/2017 UTC) at Blaisdell Center in Honolulu, Hawaii USA

To be released in the Exhibition Hall during the Great Aloha Run Expo, February 17-19, 2017: hopefully someone will decide to take it home! (Larger photo here - after following link, click on image to zoom.)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm so glad you've found this book!

Please take a moment to make a journal entry and let this book's previous readers know that it's safe with you.

If you've ever wondered where your books go after they leave your hands, join BookCrossing and you may find out: you'll be able to follow the further adventures of your books as new readers make journal entries - sometimes from surprisingly far-flung locations.

(Think of it like Where's George for books: a little like geocaching or a treasure hunt - you can follow a registered book's journey every time someone makes a new entry. Some BookCrossers even leave books *in* geocaches!)

BookCrossing: making the whole world a library!