The Sound of Waves

by Yukio Mishima | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Kally93 of Brantford, Ontario Canada on 8/30/2012
Journal Entry 1 by Kally93 from Brantford, Ontario Canada on Thursday, August 30, 2012
Found this in a second hand book store for a good price. Now I can send this to the person I tagged without having to worry about finishing reading my other copy.

Journal Entry 2 by Kally93 at tag RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada on Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (9/5/2012 UTC) at tag RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

Sending this to MiuM for the tag game.

Journal Entry 3 by MiuM at Kaarina, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Monday, September 17, 2012
Thank you for the book, the labels and the wonderful postcard!

Journal Entry 4 by MiuM at Kaarina, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Sunday, October 07, 2012
I have tagged Tsjara from Netherlands with this on the wishlist tag game, so I'll send the book to her when I have finished it.

Journal Entry 5 by MiuM at Kaarina, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Thursday, May 09, 2013
I don't know why it has been so hard for me to start reading this book. I have now eyed it through an the story seems quite interesting. I have had so many things to do (and to read) that somehow I haven't been able to concentrate on this book. Time to pass it forward. Sorry it took me so long. :/

Journal Entry 6 by MiuM at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Thursday, May 09, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (5/13/2013 UTC) at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland

Have a good summer!
Sorry it took me ages to post this wishlist tag book.

The Castle of Turku
<---

Journal Entry 7 by wingTsjarawing at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, June 06, 2013
Oh what a lovely surprise (I had quite forgotten about this)! The book arrived today with some really nice goodies (tea - I love that one of them has Little My from the Moomins on it! a creepy magnetic bookmark, cute note paper, and the card about the Turku Medieval festival(?). Thank you so much Mium! :)

Journal Entry 8 by wingTsjarawing at Zaandam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, December 25, 2018
This has been lounging on my shelf for quite a long time *blush*, and I finally got round to reading it. I really enjoyed the story. It feels like it's set in some long ago era, because of the simple life the people on the island lead in harmony with nature. But it's actually set somewhere in these modern times. The characters Shinji and Hatsue are so innocent, is it because they live this simple life, untainted by the modern life in the cities? I really rooted for them and that everything would turn out well.
(Edit: I now saw that it was published in 1954, so I guess not that recent :p, I wonder if this kind of lifestyle is still possible...)

Thanks for sharing this lovely book MiuM. I'll try and see if there is any interest for a bookray.

Journal Entry 9 by wingTsjarawing at Zaandam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Monday, January 14, 2019

Released 4 mos ago (1/14/2019 UTC) at Zaandam, Noord-Holland Netherlands

- mcsar (Canada)
- erishkigal (US)
- JudySlump612 (US)
- Hesiodo66 (Argentina)

Please try to keep it moving (within a month or so), or let us know if you need longer. Thank you all for joining. :)

The bookray has started and is on its way to the first reader, iiwi. Hope you all enjoy it!

Journal Entry 10 by wingiiwiwing at Zeist, Utrecht Netherlands on Tuesday, January 15, 2019
Received today!

Journal Entry 11 by wingiiwiwing at Zeist, Utrecht Netherlands on Monday, February 18, 2019
Some delay is possible. I have to read a book for my bookclub, and then I am on holiday!

Journal Entry 12 by wingiiwiwing at Zeist, Utrecht Netherlands on Tuesday, April 09, 2019
I am going to start reading today!

Journal Entry 13 by wingiiwiwing at Zeist, Utrecht Netherlands on Friday, April 19, 2019
Raging waves rose high above the breakwater, set up a tremendous roar, and then rushed down. Because of the previous evening's strom-warning, every last boat had been pulled up much higjer on the beach than usual. When the giant waves receded, the surface of the water tilted steepl; it almost seemed as if the bottom of the sea inside the harbor-works would be exposed to view. Spray from the waves, mixed with the driving rain, struck Shinji full in the face. The sharp, fresh saltiness ran down his flushed cheeks, down the lines of his nose, and Shinjij recalled the taste of Hatsue's lips.

This being a typical Mishima sentence, combining nature with human emotions making them a bit stingy. There are a lot of these nature descriptions in this novella. I liked how you can see the changing of the seasons by the kind of migrating birds there are on the island. The first two pages are a description of the place this novella is situated, which, for me, did not help at all in picking where in Japan this island actually was. Hooray for Googlemaps! This small island with its coastline under three miles is where all of the story is set, in this rural community of fisherman and diverwomen where Shinji is growing up and will become an adult. Customs and beliefs is what make up the island tradition, and tradition is the way one lives their life. Shinji is still growing up in this island tradition. A tradition in conjunction with nature, the sea, the fish, the passing of time, with social classes you are bound to. You can feel that his brother, who is some ten years his younger, will grow up differently. He goes out to mainland Japan on a schooltrip, coming back with stories not about the temples and monuments, but the cinema he went to with his class.
This book has been written shortly after World War II, and set in this time, begin '50, but it seems the war has scarcely touched the community. Sometimes it comes peeking through, Shinji's dad died during the war, there is a lookout where Japanese soldiers watched the sea and after years the generator of the island village is working again. This community, however, does not engage much with the outside world, and the outside world not that much with this community and island.
In all this is a small story, easily readable, enjoyable, and by far the easiest of Mishima's novels. It is a coming of age novel, Shinji having to cope with his own sense of being and the rural community that bounds him to the rules of tradition. It is a sweet and simple tale of two lovers on an idyllic, isolated Japanese island, far from the dark angry characters in other Mishima novels.

Some note on the translater: Oscar Meredith Weatherby was the translater of most (all?) of Mishima's novels in English. They new eachother from the gay scene in Japan. He was partner of the photographer Tamotsu Yato.

Journal Entry 14 by wingFemke85wing at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden on Friday, May 10, 2019
The book arrived safely in Sweden. Will start reading it soon.

Journal Entry 15 by wingFemke85wing at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden on Sunday, May 12, 2019
A lovely atmospheric read about young love in a fishermen’s village in Japan. I really enjoyed reading it, especially the beautiful descriptions and almost poetic sentences.

Journal Entry 16 by wingFemke85wing at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden on Sunday, May 12, 2019

Released 2 wks ago (5/12/2019 UTC) at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden

After two days in sweden, this book continues its journey to the mountains of Switserland. It will travel together with another bookray book. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 17 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Thursday, May 16, 2019
This arrived safely with another ring from Sweden (gorgeous stamps, by the way!) - thanks so much for sending. They will get in line behind the other rings which have rolled in recently - busy times, but I'll try to get to them soon. Thanks for making this available.