Everything and Nothing

by Araminta Hall | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Miss_Sunshine of Sharm el Sheikh, Red Sea Governorate Egypt on 8/27/2012
Journal Entry 1 by Miss_Sunshine from Sharm el Sheikh, Red Sea Governorate Egypt on Monday, August 27, 2012
I found this book in the book shelf in Hilton Sharks Bay Hotel, Sharm el Sheikh, Egypt.

Journal Entry 2 by Miss_Sunshine at Sharm el Sheikh, Red Sea Governorate Egypt on Monday, May 13, 2013
I was hooked on this book by the first few pages and it continued like that right the way through. Great story line and i dont have kids but i imagine the mothers feeling are very realistic.

I did feel a bit disappointed by the ending though, felt it could have been a bit longer and more detailed. Felt almost rushed.

I am reserving this book for a bookray which will start in the coming weeks.

Journal Entry 3 by Miss_Sunshine at Sharm el Sheikh, Red Sea Governorate Egypt on Friday, May 31, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (5/31/2013 UTC) at Sharm el Sheikh, Red Sea Governorate Egypt

And we're off on the bookray. Order as follows:

Penelopewanders - Switzerland
Queensissi - Portugal
Icila - France
Bookworm lady - Spain
J4Shaw - Australia

Enjoy everyone :)

Journal Entry 4 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Monday, June 10, 2013
This has now arrived in the alps... a few other rings here just now and we've hit one of the busiest times of the year - this may be put to the side until holiday starts at the end of the month, but then it will surely be a quick read. Thanks for sending!

Journal Entry 5 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Thursday, June 27, 2013
This was quite a gripping read - not always pleasant by any stretch of the imagination, but well-written. The complexity of Aggie slowly unfurled, as did the relationship between Ruth and Christian. Interesting how (at least) two of the characters in this story are rather "disturbed". A good read, here as a ring.I'm writing for the next address.

Journal Entry 6 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Saturday, June 29, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (6/29/2013 UTC) at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland

I forgot to mention when I journalled reception of this book - it looks like it may have had a quick dunk in a bathtub, or perhaps more suited to upcoming holidays, a quick dip in the sea. Some pages a bit wavy. This being said, everything is there, and beyond my initial surprise, it in no way detracts from the reading (no loose pages or anything that I noticed). Now the book has left the Swiss Alps (no swimming in the sea here, although if the weather were to warm up a bit we do have some lovely lakes and rivers) and is headed down to Portugal. Enjoy! Thanks for making this book available - and thanks for sending.

Journal Entry 7 by QueenSissi at Gouveia, Guarda Portugal on Tuesday, July 09, 2013
It's in Portugal now and as penélope said a bit wavy but very readable ;). I still have a couple of books before but intend to read them quickly.

Journal Entry 8 by QueenSissi at Gouveia, Guarda Portugal on Thursday, August 15, 2013
I have kids but I never wanted a nanny. Not because I am this psychotic but because I had one who I really enjoyed and lost her at 4 :(. I didn't want my children to go through that!

Now I wouldn't want my children to go through both experiences :((.
The book was interesting and well written as well as the description of the characters and their evolution. But come on - realistic - who could be this perfect with two toddlers ;).

Thanks for sharing sending it to Icila ASAP.

Journal Entry 9 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Saturday, September 14, 2013
The book arrived this morning from Portugal. Thanks a lot !

Journal Entry 10 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Sunday, September 29, 2013
My grandchildren had marvellous nannies over the word and it was always devastating for them (the nannies) to be separated but life goes on and with internet the link doesn't break.
I took a great pleasure, my daughter too, to stay at home without being in a jail and free to do many sorts of aventures with the kids so I'm a bit furious about the author's point of view.

Journal Entry 11 by wingIcilawing at La Chapelle-sur-Erdre, Pays de la Loire France on Friday, October 04, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (10/4/2013 UTC) at La Chapelle-sur-Erdre, Pays de la Loire France

On its way to Spain.

Journal Entry 12 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Wednesday, October 16, 2013
And here it is, safe and sound! :)
Thanks for sharing, Miss_Sunshine, and thanks for sending it to me, Icila.
I worked as a nanny for six years in London, and still keep in touch with most of "my" children, and visit from time to time. Guess I was "one of the good ones".
Looking forward to reading this one! :)

Journal Entry 13 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Wednesday, August 27, 2014
Currently reading it... sorry for the delay!
I will ask for J4Shaw's address.

Journal Entry 14 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Monday, September 01, 2014
I really enjoyed this book; beautifully written, and much more than just a page-turner... though, in my opinion, the ending was disappointing, after all that building up to a climax (and I agree with Miss Sunshine here).
The characters are very well depicted, and they reflect the struggle with modern life, particularly for women, and how much is expected from us.
Aggie makes you feel sorry for her; I have been a nanny myself. and can identify with many of her problems (I was not that perfect, mind you, and I am sure not that disturbed!). When children spend most of their day with you, it is logical that they will form a bond and get attached to you... in fact, I keep in touch with most of my "children" after over 10 years!
A reflection from Ruth:
"She shouldn't have revealed so much about herself. You should never tell men the depth of their despair because then they thought you mad and wished they could get away with locking you in the attic. If only they shared the same language, she found herself thinking, she could tell them how she was feeling, he'll give her a hug and they'd move on."
I found a couple of mistakes (editor's slips, in fact): Agatha when they meant Ruth, and Ruth knocking on Agatha's door and her mother opening it... I'm used to proofreading, and these things jump out at me.
All in all, a really enjoyable read, which kept me hooked during a rather stressful time (I'm moving home, and packing tons of books is proving to be an ordeal). A reflection by Ruth's mother proved helpful as well:
"Stop it, Ruth, you are like a bloody runaway train, one problem snowballing into the next. If I thought like you, I'd never get anything done, it would all feel too overwhelming.There's probably a solution somewhere."
Thanks for sharing, Miss Sunshine, sorry for keeping it so long... it will soon be on its way to J4Shaw.

Journal Entry 15 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Friday, September 05, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (9/5/2014 UTC) at Madrid, Madrid Spain

Sent today to J4Shaw, next (and last) in the bookray.
Enjoy!!

Journal Entry 16 by wingJ4shawwing at Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Thursday, September 25, 2014
This is safe and sound with me.
Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 17 by wingJ4shawwing at Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Monday, September 29, 2014

A great debut novel, with lots going on and believable characters that pull you in.

Journal Entry 18 by wingJ4shawwing at Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (9/30/2014 UTC) at Darwin, Northern Territory Australia

Found a few more interested readers to continue this Bookray:

Aus-charlotte [Australia]
Alice2623663 [Australia]

Journal Entry 19 by Aus-charlotte at Banora Point, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, October 15, 2014
Many thanks, received unexpectedly in the mail, lovely surprise. will read in the plane.

Journal Entry 20 by Aus-charlotte at Banora Point, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, December 02, 2014
Posted to Alice2623663

Journal Entry 21 by alice2623663 at Wollongong, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, March 21, 2015
The book arrived back in December but hubby quickly packed it into a moving box. Well, it finally emerged! I enjoyed it as a quick read on the train although I found the ending a little disappointing.