Narrow Dog to Indian River

by Terry Darlington | Travel |
ISBN: 0385342098 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingNancyNovawing of Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on 8/25/2012
Journal Entry 1 by wingNancyNovawing from Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, August 25, 2012
from a co-worker

Journal Entry 2 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, March 14, 2017
A british couple bring their narrow boat over from England, to sail the intercoastal waterway from Virginia to Florida. The unusual boat attracts quite a few "gongozzlers" - i.e. nosy Americans wanting to check out the unusual boat. Quite a humorous look of the US

Check out the website for pictures http://www.narrowdog.com/

Journal Entry 3 by wingNancyNovawing at ~ RABCK ~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Released 3 yrs ago (3/15/2017 UTC) at ~ RABCK ~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

releasing as a wishlist tag.

If you aren't familiar with Bookcrossing, take a few minutes to check out this very cool site. Bookcrossers LOVE books, and more than anything, they love to read books and then set them free for other people to find and enjoy. I would love it if you would leave a journal entry -- you can say where you found the book or how you liked it when you read it. Then, when you are ready, pass it along for someone else to enjoy! Thanks and happy reading!

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, March 24, 2017
This wishlist-tag book arrived safely in today's mail, along with the bonus bookplate and bookmark; many thanks! I've enjoyed reading about narrowboat travels in Europe, but it's not a common mode of travel in the US since the demise of the canal system. Even River-Horse, a wonderful account of travel-by-boat across America, didn't limit itself to one specific boat... (I see that "Narrow Dog" has been compared to Three Men in a Boat; so far the comparison's apt!)

Journal Entry 5 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, March 29, 2017
Oh, this was a delight! I found myself laughing out loud, chuckling and nodding, wincing in sympathy and laughing some more...

The whole premise is rather far-fetched: the 70-year-old couple, having had quite a time in Europe on their narrow boat, decide to take it down the eastern coast of the US, despite the fact that it's meant to be used only in narrow, shallow, CALM canals, and the route they're planning will take them across a number of very wide rivers and a few even wider bodies of water. The wake from a passing boat could knock them over, the canal boat isn't meant to steer well in high winds and waves, and in general it sounds like a plan for disaster...

So what happens? Before they can even start, Terry (aka "Tits Magee" when he's feeling full of himself) gets a hernia AND heart complications, leading to weeks and weeks of hospitals and fretting. And yet, somehow, as he's writing it all down, it's pretty darned funny - in part because we can tell he didn't die {wry grin}. But why they didn't pack in the boat-trip and just go home is beyond me. Still, I'm glad they persisted, because I really loved this book!

The problem is that I want to keep quoting things. To convey his chatty narrative style, the spousal banter, the trials of coping with their dog Jim, a pedigree whippet with ideas of his own and a murderous attitude about cats and most other dogs (not to mention armadillos) - well, I'd have to cite the whole book.

I loved his mild surprise at some of the stranger aspects of US culture - and his reactions to the wildly different reactions of the Americans to his cute boat and "why is he so thin?" dog. His misadventures with the local insect life amused me - I grew up in the south, and would have listened when the locals warned me about redbugs, aka chiggers.

While I enjoyed all the quipping and snarking and pop-culture riffs, I also appreciated the author's occasional lapse into lyricism - notable when he's describing Jim the dog standing in the sunlight or flying at top speed across a beach. For all the headaches that dog gives, his owners seem very fond of him...

There's some history here and there, and quite a bit about navigation in the coastal waterway - including some white-knuckle sequences in which our heroes are glued to their GPS screen to find their way, as they can't see land in any direction and just hope that nothing causes their boat to sink. Oh, and wildlife - lots of fun with wildlife, from the biting insects to Jim chasing the armadillos to the boat being chased by alligators (!), to some lovely passages about curious dolphins and lazy pelicans.

I enjoyed the book so much that I'm now looking for their other books. Really good read!

Journal Entry 6 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Released 3 yrs ago (3/30/2017 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this book to thegoaliegirl's Travel Narrative bookbox (see the bookbox journal here). Enjoy!

*** Released for the 2017 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***

*** Released for the 2017 4 Elements release challenge. ***

*** Released for the 2017 Oh, the Places We Can Go release challenge. ***

Journal Entry 7 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, May 17, 2017
Claiming from thegoaliegirl's Travel Narrative Bookbox. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 8 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, February 28, 2018
I was a bit disappointed in this book (surprisingly!). I couldn't get used to his style; for me it seemed a strange mixture of chatty and telegraphic, with no discernible pattern. There were some enjoyable parts, and a few laughs, just not as many as I expected. Perhaps it's a reading deficiency of some sort that I have, but in some sections I actually couldn't figure out what Terry was talking (writing) about. Perhaps I tried to read the book too quickly with the release challenge deadline in mind.

I did feel for the long-suffering (and thin) Jim, stuck on the boat when not allowed into some of the eating establishments and bars his human companions were able to visit, but like most dogs, I guess he took it in stride quite well.

Terry (Tits Magee) and Monica were certainly brave to attempt this trip with the many open-water segments, and I enjoyed reading about the places they stopped (that's part of the problem; I'd like to have learned *more* detail about the locales, but guess they didn't have time for sightseeing in most places).

There were a few amusing passages that show Terry's sense of humor:

"The lighting was dim, as if you were just coming round from a faint. The carpet was congealed blood, in swirls..."

"A manatee - the sea cow, that all the posters and ceramics and carvings try to show as cute, when the poor thing looks like a drunk had started to mould an elephant seal out of clay and gave up before he reached the face."

I liked the way song lyrics were woven into the story, especially the whole "Rainy Night in Georgia" bit.

As I write this, I'm coming to the conclusion that this is a case of "wrong place and time": my enjoyment of a book can vary so much depending on my mood, etc. I do have the first book, Narrow Dog to Carcassonne, somewhere, and will read that and then find another copy of this one and read it again. I think my lack of appreciation for it was just a fluke, because I usually really love this type of book.

Was going to keep this short; well, that didn't happen. Hope this review makes a modicum of sense. :-)

Journal Entry 9 by wingeponine38wing at Little Free Library, 25 Bellevue Rd in Arlington, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Released 2 yrs ago (2/28/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, 25 Bellevue Rd in Arlington, Massachusetts USA

Left at about 4:15. Hope it finds a new reader!

Released for Keep Them Moving Challenge hosted by booklady331.

Released for February 2018 Ultimate Challenge hosted by jumpingin, for "river". This month's theme is By Air or By Sea.
Released for 2018 Asian Zodiac-Year of the Dog Challenge hosted by hyphen8.

Welcome to BookCrossing!

I hope you enjoy the book!