Neither Here Nor There

by Bill Bryson | Travel |
Registered by Miss_Sunshine of Dubai Marina, Dubai United Arab Emirates on 8/19/2012
Journal Entry 1 by Miss_Sunshine from Dubai Marina, Dubai United Arab Emirates on Sunday, August 19, 2012
I found this book in the book shelf in Hilton Sharks Bay Resort, Sharm el Sheikh, Egypt

Journal Entry 2 by Miss_Sunshine at Sharm el Sheikh, Red Sea Governorate Egypt on Friday, August 24, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (8/27/2012 UTC) at Sharm el Sheikh, Red Sea Governorate Egypt

Im not a overly big fan of travel books as for me they just leave you depressed as it highlights all the places in the world you havent been which then gives you ichy feet and at the same time if you havent been to the places, its hard to know what he is talking about. Was a ok book, some good laughs in there.

Im a sending this book on bookray, list as follows:

I have a friend in Sharm at the moment who is leaving in a few days to Holland so she will take this book to Holland with her to be posted.

Dutchbooky - Holland
Thalasse - Finland
silvia-pco - Portugal

Enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 3 by dutchbooky at Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Friday, September 07, 2012
THe book arrived here yesterday. Thanks Miss Sunshine, for the offer and getting the book on its way. I will start it somewhere over the weekend.

Journal Entry 4 by dutchbooky at Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Monday, October 15, 2012
Finished this morning. I enjoyed the book, recognized some of the places, but not always the situations Bryson describes. I think much has changed (again) since his travels in the early 90's. I have new ideas for my travel wish list!

Journal Entry 5 by dutchbooky at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Monday, October 15, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (10/15/2012 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Will be in the mail later this afternoon, off to the next reader. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by -solaria- at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Thursday, October 18, 2012
The book arrived safely here, thank you dutchbooky! I look forward to reading this.

Journal Entry 7 by -solaria- at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Tuesday, October 30, 2012
I read the book quite quickly, as Bryson's writing style is good and made me chuckle many times. It was interesting to learn new things about different places. I learned many new things, for example about the town Spa (I didn't know where the English word 'spa' came from) and the tiny country Liechtenstein (I could point it on a map but didn't know anything about it). I'm sure a lot of things has already changed since his travels.

It was a bit sad how depressing Bryson found Sweden, but then again, early April is far too early to really appreciate a Nordic country (April is my least favourite month as everything is still dusty, cold, bleak and dirty here after the winter). I'm positive that Bryson would've liked it more if he had come north in June! It also makes me relieved that he didn't visit Finland at all... I'm sure my country in 1991 wouldn't have been very attractive to him.

He also wonders why it's mandatory in Sweden (and Finland as well I might point out) to keep the car headlights always on while driving and calls this a surreal and pointless law. Well, excuse me, mr. Bryson, but it's a good and instant way for others to tell a moving and potentially lethal vehicle apart from parked cars if you have your lights on! Besides, I just heard that DRL's (daytime running lights) will be compulsory in new cars in EU next year, so there must be something good about having lights on during daytime, right?

Sorry for the rant, I just had to vent. I'll try to mail the book to the next person as soon as possible. Thanks for the ray, Miss_Sunshine!

Journal Entry 8 by -solaria- at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (11/7/2012 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

The book was mailed to the next participant. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 9 by silvia-pco at Murtosa, Aveiro Portugal on Friday, November 23, 2012
Here it is :)

Journal Entry 10 by silvia-pco at Murtosa, Aveiro Portugal on Sunday, May 05, 2013
First of all, I'm sorry it took me so long to get to this book. I've actually read it quite a while ago but just now got around to writing my JE.

I've loved Bryson's work since the first page and this book is no exception. It was a very enjoyable reading, he really has a special touch with words and never fails to be funny. I was just sad to see he didn't visit Portugal or Spain in his travels, since I would have loved to read his take on my country and our Spanish neighbours as well.

This being a bookray, I will see if anyone else would like to read it and if so, send it again into the world in a new ray :) Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 11 by silvia-pco at Murtosa, Aveiro Portugal on Thursday, May 09, 2013
Going out as a BRay!

List of participants: (accepting entries! PM me if you want in!)

01. Billbooks, Australia (INT'L shipping)
02. Sherlockfan, New Zealand (INT'L shipping)
03. Icila, France (INT'L shipping)
04. elstaplador, UK
05. sarahmangan, UK (EU shipping)
06. bluezwuzl, Germany (EU shipping)
07. QueenSissi, Portugal (EU shipping)

Guidelines (based on JennyC1230's)

1. When you receive book, please make a journal entry.
2. PM the next person on the list for their address.
3. After you read the book, tell us what you thought of it.
4. When you mail the book, make another journal entry to let us know.
5. I'll set the reading deadline as 2 months; I know what it feels like to have a huge Mount TBR and the struggle one does to keep up with the deadlines, so I'll be flexible here. If you are having trouble and need to keep it for a little longer, that's cool: just PM me or make a JE so that we can know it hasn't been forgotten.
6. If you're the last person on the list, you're free to keep it, continue the Bookray, start a Bookring... it's up to you!
8. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 12 by silvia-pco at Murtosa, Aveiro Portugal on Tuesday, July 09, 2013
On its way to Billbooks! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 13 by wingBillbookswing at Malvern East, Victoria Australia on Thursday, August 15, 2013
Has arrived here in Australia will be my next book to read as I am currently reading Death at Pemberley for my book group.

Journal Entry 14 by wingBillbookswing at Malvern East, Victoria Australia on Saturday, August 31, 2013
Thoroughly enjoyed this book Loved Bryson's laconic style and the surprises and disappointments that always happen on a holiday. Interesting to note that written 20 years ago how many things have also changed in Europe perhaps time he did a second edition. Now heading across the Tasman to New Zealand

Journal Entry 15 by wingSherlockfanwing at Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Sunday, October 06, 2013
Sorry I didn't write this immediately it arrived which I think was about 10 days ago but I went away for a few days and realise now that I've not mentioned its arrival. I'll get on to it quickly then send it on its way to icila.

Journal Entry 16 by wingSherlockfanwing at Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Monday, October 28, 2013
Sorry it has taken me a while to get to this book. MrFan has been reading and enjoying* it while I was distracted with reading a book for this month for each of the two book clubs to which I belong.
I'll pm the next reader for her address.
Later - much later.
I see that I didn't say anything about what I thought of the book; probably just as well because i didn't particularly enjoy Bryson's cutting remarks particularly about France. IMHO it seems that rather than write to inform readers he likes to be extremely critical and try to make people think how clever and witty he is at the expense of the people he met and countries he visited. My husband liked this book less than any of the Bryson books he's read. At the time I wrote the bit at the start of this entry I was simply assuming that MrFan would be enjoying it because he has enjoyed other Bryson books.* Not so. I don't think either of us will be continuing as fans of this writer.

I actually felt quite bad as I posted it on to Icila in France knowing that she might not like the treatment Bryson gave her country.

Journal Entry 17 by wingSherlockfanwing at Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Sunday, November 24, 2013
Posting off to Icila either today or tomorrow.

Hope book travels safely and doesn't get bogged down in Christmas mail.

Journal Entry 18 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Thursday, December 12, 2013
The book is here ! Thank you Sherlockfan.
I already peered into. :)

Journal Entry 19 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Sunday, December 15, 2013
I couldn't wait to read it. I liked all of the previous Bryson minus The Lost Continent.
I have travelled around most of the countries in this book and I can say that after 20 years it isn't accurate anymore, for better and for worse, but surprinsingly the people's oddities stay and I chuckled more than once.
Don't worry, Sherlockfan I didn't "took the fly" as we say in French "prendre la mouche".
I never understood why the French are always said to be the rudest though...Not in my experience. No offence taken.

Journal Entry 20 by elstaplador at Woking, Surrey United Kingdom on Saturday, January 11, 2014
I'd forgotten I'd signed up for this, so it was a nice surprise! Will start reading asap.

Journal Entry 21 by elstaplador at Woking, Surrey United Kingdom on Sunday, January 26, 2014
I didn't like this as much as I have other Bryson books. I think there were a couple of reasons for this:

1. Because Bryson wasn't travelling through English-speaking countries, he succumbed to the temptation to make an unfunny quantity of the jokes about how hilarious foreign languages apparently are. It got old quickly.

2. The book has dated horribly. I was fooled by the cover at first (it's a reissue) but it's twenty years old, and my goodness it shows. If I'd been more aware of that from the beginning, I'd have read it as an historical source, and probably found it quite interesting; as it was, it grated. (LET THE SECOND WORLD WAR GO ALREADY FFS...)

Sending on to sarahmangan today.

Journal Entry 22 by elstaplador at by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, January 26, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (1/26/2014 UTC) at by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sending on to the next reader in the ring.

Journal Entry 23 by sarahmangan at Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 04, 2014
This arrived today with a lovely Art Deco card - thank you very much elstaplador! I have a library book and another ray ahead of it so I will probably get round to this one at the end of next week. Many thanks for including me in the ray.

Journal Entry 24 by sarahmangan at Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Thursday, February 13, 2014
I enjoyed this - thanks! Although I do get why people found bits of this grating, there was lots of really interesting stuff in there. I'd love to have the money and time to travel round like that! It really made me have itchy feet.

I've pm'd the next reader and will get it posted on ASAP. Thanks again for including me in the ray.

Journal Entry 25 by sarahmangan at Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Monday, February 17, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (2/17/2014 UTC) at Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom

Posted on to the next reader :)

Journal Entry 26 by wingbluezwuzlwing at Altdorf (Niederbayern), Bayern Germany on Tuesday, February 25, 2014
Arrived today. Will be the next book after the present one...
Thanks to sahramangan!
It has been some time since I read a Bill Bryson travel-book. I didn't like it as I used to like them and I think, estaplador may be right about the reason why...
All in all, now I know for sure that prefer Chatwins as a travel writer.

Journal Entry 27 by QueenSissi at Gouveia, Guarda Portugal on Tuesday, April 01, 2014
It is now in Portugal - I have some rings ahead so I'll be stalling this one for awhile. After reading it I intend to continue the ray, so if you know someone else is interested, just PM :) me!

Journal Entry 28 by QueenSissi at Gouveia, Guarda Portugal on Thursday, February 05, 2015
I finally read it and it was hilarious. The kind of book that you are reading and laughing out loud... until you notice other passengers on the train are looking at you as if you are awkward...

Thank you for sharing! I'll continue the bookray as soon as I get someone interested.