Running for the Hills: A Family Story

by Horatio Clare | Biographies & Memoirs |
ISBN: 0719565391 Global Overview for this book
Registered by madmadge of Alderholt, Dorset United Kingdom on 8/17/2012
Journal Entry 1 by madmadge from Alderholt, Dorset United Kingdom on Friday, August 17, 2012
Given to me by my friend Penny today.

When Horatio Clare's parents glimpsed an isolated sheep farm nestled in a mountainside, they fell in love with it. It had no running water but was beautiful and rugged. Their young sons could roam wild. They embarked on a perilous family adventure to build a new life in the wilderness.
Horatio Clare vividly recreates his parents' extraordinary way of life and his own bewitching childhood in a magical story of love and struggle.....

Journal Entry 2 by madmadge at New Milton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Thursday, August 29, 2013
I stayed awake late to finish this book and then was sorry when it ended because I didn't have it to look forward to every night when I went to bed.

I did enjoy it and am full of admiration for little Horatio's mother who fought the elements to look after her sheep and bring up her two boys. I cannot begin to imagine how they survived the hardships in such a remote hill farm.

This book is beautifully written and very descriptive. The sort of book you go back over certain passages to read again.

Journal Entry 3 by madmadge at New Milton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Sunday, September 01, 2013
Now a BOOKRING. Here's the order of the ring -

1. Ftarazu (Portugal)
2. vassilka (Greece)
3. Icila (France)
4. booksieboo (Germany)
5. valpete (US)
6. tchaikovsky (US)

Please journal the book when it arrives, try to read it within a month and journal before sending to the next person in the ring. Most of all, ENJOY! Happy Bookcrossing.

Journal Entry 4 by madmadge at Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom on Monday, September 02, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (9/2/2013 UTC) at Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom

I'll be taking a drive into Christchurch this afternoon and will post the book there.

Journal Entry 5 by Ftarazu at Ovar, Aveiro Portugal on Saturday, September 14, 2013
It was on my mailbox yesterday. Its the second on my TBR pile and I am looking forward to read it. Thanks for sharing madmadge.

Journal Entry 6 by Ftarazu at Ovar, Aveiro Portugal on Monday, October 14, 2013
Just loved reading this sweet book. It is so tender and magical that I just wanted to keep going… And I think most (if not all) of us fells fascinated with the idea of leaving the city behind and going into the country…I thought about that often when reading this. I loved all the descriptions and the relation between mother and the boys and also with the sheep. And learned a bit about farming and farm’s life!

Sorry for taking this long. I have already PMed vassilka and I am waiting for an address.
Thanks so much for sharing madmadge!

Journal Entry 7 by Ftarazu at Ovar, Aveiro Portugal on Thursday, October 31, 2013
Sent to vassilka Tuesday. I am sorry for the delay but was out of town last week. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 8 by vassilka at Larissa / Λάρισα, Larisa Greece on Tuesday, November 05, 2013
Received it an hour ago. Thanx Ftarazu! Looking forward to reading it:-)

Journal Entry 9 by vassilka at Larissa / Λάρισα, Larisa Greece on Wednesday, November 27, 2013
Beautifully written, it shows Horatio's sensitivity and love towards nature and the nostalgy for a unique and unforgetable childhood that every child would like to live. His writing creates vivid images. Jenny, his mother, is to be admired for her courage, for her stance towards life itself, she's really special.
I can't say that I enjoyed all the details about sheep's life, it was rather tiring, I mostly enjoyed the last part of the book.

Waiting for Icila's pm and as soon as I receive it I'll post the book.

Journal Entry 10 by vassilka at Larissa / Λάρισα, Larisa Greece on Saturday, December 07, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (12/5/2013 UTC) at Larissa / Λάρισα, Larisa Greece

Off to Icila. Sorry for the delay but I was down with a flu. Happy reading Icila! Thank you madmadge for giving me the opportunity to read this book:-)

Journal Entry 11 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Friday, December 13, 2013
The book is with me now, nothing to be sorry for vassilka, I have plenty to read. I hope you are better now. Thanks for the lovely card. I wish you too a Merry Christmas and a Happy new Year.

Journal Entry 12 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Friday, January 24, 2014
Perfectly well written. I have mixed feelings about the mother. It's one thing to fall in love with a moutain and one other to live there with babies.
A hippie thing that could have been a tragedy.

Thanks madmage for sharing.

Journal Entry 13 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Saturday, January 25, 2014

Released 6 yrs ago (1/25/2014 UTC) at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France

On itsway to Germany.

Journal Entry 14 by booksieboo at Bochum, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, January 28, 2014
Arrived safely today in Bochum, Germany.
Thanks, Icila, for forwarding it.

Journal Entry 15 by booksieboo at Bochum, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, February 28, 2014
Overall I enjoyed this book, although I have to admit that I almost stopped reading it about halfway through, having learnt more than I ever wanted to know about sheep farming, and then anticipating the breakup of the parents' marriage - so much for the "Family Story", I thought.
I'm glad I kept on reading, since I found the second half of the book much more enjoyable, particularly the "Great Snow" chapter. The end of life on the farm and the end of the book then seemed to come very abruptly, too abruptly for my taste.

Thanks, madmadge, for the opportunity to read this one.

Journal Entry 16 by booksieboo at Bochum, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, February 28, 2014

Released 6 yrs ago (3/1/2014 UTC) at Bochum, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

Now on its way by priority mail to valpete. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 17 by valpete at Walnut Creek, California USA on Tuesday, March 18, 2014
Thanks for sending this all the way from Germany. I had completely forgotten I had signed up for this Ring. It will definitely be a while before I can get to it. Many in front of it. Please PM me if I'm taking too long. I definitely will read it and pass it along to the next reader.

Journal Entry 18 by valpete at Walnut Creek, California USA on Wednesday, August 06, 2014
My apologies for keeping this so long. This is a beautifully written memoir - it literally transported me to the hills of Wales, tending the sheep on a desolate, lonely farm. Although there wasn't much plot, it pulled me along, keeping me interested the entire time.

So happy I had the opportunity to read this wonderful book. I'll be sending it along to the next reader very quickly now.

Journal Entry 19 by valpete at Walnut Creek, California USA on Friday, August 08, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (8/8/2014 UTC) at Walnut Creek, California USA

It's off to the next reader. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Thanks, for including me in this Ray and for being so patient.

Journal Entry 20 by tchaikovsky at Charleston, South Carolina USA on Sunday, August 17, 2014
I received this book here in Charleston today; thank you for sending it!
Based on the reviews you've all left, I'm definitely looking forward to reading it :) I should begin soon.