Lolita (Penguin Classics)

by Vladimir Nabokov | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by InvisibleAng of Belfast, Co. Antrim United Kingdom on 8/14/2012
Journal Entry 1 by InvisibleAng from Belfast, Co. Antrim United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 14, 2012
A lot of fiction about this kind of relationship (which is kind of a problematic word to use about Humbert and Lolita to begin with) falls into the "dirty old men apologism" category and makes me roll my eyes. It really surprised me that Nabakov managed to make Humbert someone whose observations I wanted to listen to, even laugh at, yet without ever losing sight of the fact he's a truly awful human being.

It's only a pity that this edition doesn't include the author's original forward, which the introduction describes and would've added depth to the novel's presentation as a description of real events told under a pseudonym.

Journal Entry 2 by InvisibleAng at The John Hewitt Bar in Belfast, Co. Antrim United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (8/14/2012 UTC) at The John Hewitt Bar in Belfast, Co. Antrim United Kingdom

To be released at tonight's Belfast BookCrossers meet-up. We're usually in the snug, to the right as you go into the pub, and any books not picked up during the evening are left on the windowsill...

Thank you for picking up this book, and I hope you enjoy it. You have not only found yourself a book, but a whole community of book-lovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large.

I hope you will make a journal entry letting me know that this book has found a good home with you. You can do this anonymously if you wish. When you finish the book, please visit here again and share what you thought about the book.

Feel free to read and keep the book, or pass it on to a friend, or even set it free 'in the wild' for someone else to find like you did.

If you register you will be alerted by email each time someone makes another journal entry. It's completely confidential (you're known only by your screen name and no-one is ever given your email address), totally free, and spam-free.

If you do decide to join BookCrossing, please tell them that InvisibleAng sent you.

I hope you enjoy the BookCrossing experience!

Journal Entry 3 by peaceangel at Holywood, Co. Down United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 14, 2012
Caught at this evening's Bookcrossing meetup in Belfast.

Journal Entry 4 by peaceangel at Holywood Steiner school in Holywood, Co. Down United Kingdom on Sunday, November 03, 2019

Released 8 mos ago (11/3/2019 UTC) at Holywood Steiner school in Holywood, Co. Down United Kingdom

Thank you for picking up this book & I hope you enjoy it. You have not only found yourself a book, but a whole community of book-lovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large.

If you do decide to join BookCrossing, please tell them that peaceangel sent you.

I hope you enjoy the BookCrossing experience!