Charleston

by John Jakes | Romance |
Registered by katherine726 of Swainsboro, Georgia USA on 11/10/2003
Journal Entry 1 by katherine726 from Swainsboro, Georgia USA on Monday, November 10, 2003
I love reading books about real places and people, and being from the South, I really enjoy books about the South. That being said...I really enjoyed this book. Jakes does a great job bringing Charleston during the 1700s and 1800s alive with sights and sounds. My parents spent the weekend in Charleston around the same time that I was reading this book and as they talked about places they went I was able to picture those places and even give Mom and Dad some history behind the places that they went. Jakes also did well in getting at some root racisms in the South dealing with slavery and fear. I recognized some of that fear still evident in the 21st century South. There is so much to get through to win the war over that fear. A good book...

Journal Entry 2 by katherine726 at George L. Smith State Park, Ranger Station in Twin City, Georgia USA on Saturday, September 04, 2004

Released 16 yrs ago (9/4/2004 UTC) at George L. Smith State Park, Ranger Station in Twin City, Georgia USA

I am leaving this book inside the Ranger Station just at the entrance to the park