Longitude

by Dava Sobel | Science |
Registered by wingbooklady331wing of Cape Coral, Florida USA on 7/30/2012
Journal Entry 1 by wingbooklady331wing from Cape Coral, Florida USA on Monday, July 30, 2012
If you are new to BookCrossing and found this book and this site, Welcome!

Journal Entry 2 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Sunday, September 22, 2013
It was an interesting read that made me realize that what we take for granted today was hard worked for by others in time pass.

Journal Entry 3 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Sunday, October 27, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (10/27/2013 UTC) at Cape Coral, Florida USA

Enjoy! RABCK to NancyNova

Journal Entry 4 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, November 07, 2013
Adding to the read sooner shelf. Looks intriguing.

Journal Entry 5 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, May 15, 2018
rabck from booklady331; the story of a man's 40 year obsession with building the perfect timekeeper, known as the chronometer, which would enable ships to calculate where they were & stay on course. While reading this, I kept thinking of "east is a big bird" about the polynesian mariners, who were able to stay on course by reading the stars, currents, weather conditions and the like to navigate the pacific -no chronometer required!
This will travel forward in a bookbox

Journal Entry 6 by wingNancyNovawing at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (5/15/2018 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

If you aren't familiar with Bookcrossing, take a few minutes to check out this very cool site. Bookcrossers LOVE books, and more than anything, they love to read books and then set them free for other people to find and enjoy. I would love it if you would leave a journal entry -- you can say where you found the book or how you liked it when you read it. Then, when you are ready, pass it along for someone else to enjoy! Thanks and happy reading!

Journal Entry 7 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, May 26, 2018
I've read this before - from another bookbox copy, in fact! - so I'm leaving this in the box for someone else, but wanted to add my comments.

It's a fascinating tale indeed, involving a brilliant clockmaker who managed to construct clocks that could maintain near-perfect time even aboard ships at sea, something that enabled the first truly accurate longitude-calculations. But the story's not just about the instruments he built - though they're pretty darned impressive. Politics and pride prevented some of the higher-ups from accepting his work immediately, and he had to jump through hoops, go on field-test voyages (excruciating for one prone to seasickness) and wait (and wait, and wait) for the bureaucracy to award him the prize he'd earned.

I enjoyed reading about his work, and got frustrated on his behalf at all the delays, and was intrigued to learn that his first several clocks are still in existence and (mostly) on display at the National Maritime Museum in London. After reading about them (especially H1, the largest and most complex-looking - it's a steampunk fan's dream, all gears and brass and complexity!), I wish I'd gone to see them last time I was in London; will definitely do so if I ever get there again. (The museum web site has this page on Harrison and his clocks, with some pictures and video clips - worth a look!)

I also recommend the excellent 2000 mini-series adaptation.

Journal Entry 8 by winginnaewing at Aurora, Colorado USA on Tuesday, July 03, 2018
This book made a short stop in Colorado before continuing on in the Biography of Things bookbox (still traveling in honor of maryzee

Journal Entry 9 by wing6of8wing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Saturday, November 03, 2018
This is a good book -- I read it once, I think the first time I participated in the Biographies of Things book box. And, if I recall correctly, it was one that MaryZee enjoyed as well.

Journal Entry 10 by wing6of8wing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Wednesday, April 17, 2019
A copy of this book has been in every iteration of the Biographies of Things Book Box at some time or another. I believe most, if not all, of the participants have read it. I decided maybe I should give it a chance to experience a different side of BookCrossing.

Released 3 mos ago (4/28/2019 UTC) at Day of the Book (street festival) on Howard Avenue in Kensington, Maryland USA

This book is one of many being passed along to potential readers at the Kensington Day of the Book Festival by members of BookCrossing in Washington DC (BCinDC).