The Hummingbird's Daughter

by Luis Alberto Urrea | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by zosime of Marshfield, Wisconsin USA on 7/25/2012
Journal Entry 1 by zosime from Marshfield, Wisconsin USA on Wednesday, July 25, 2012
From Goodreads:

The prizewinning writer Luis Alberto Urrea's long-awaited novel is an epic mystical drama of a young woman's sudden sainthood in late 19th-century Mexico.It is 1889, and civil war is brewing in Mexico. A 16-year-old girl, Teresita, illegitimate but beloved daughter of the wealthy and powerful rancher Don Tomas Urrea, wakes from the strangest dream--a dream that she has died. Only it was not a dream. This passionate and rebellious young woman has arisen from death with a power to heal--but it will take all her faith to endure the trials that await her and her family now that she has become the Saint of Cabora. THE HUMMINGBIRD'S DAUGHTER is a vast, hugely satisfying novel of love and loss, joy and pain. Two decades in the writing, this is the masterpiece that Luis Alberto Urrea has been building up to.

Happy Birthday, Ace! This is one of my all time favorite books, so I was delighted to find it on your wishlist.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Thursday, August 16, 2012
received for my birthday. Thanks !

Journal Entry 3 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Saturday, June 14, 2014
My mom, AceofHearts, passed away from breast cancer on September 17, 2013. Aside from being one of the best people I know, she was an avid reader and took immense pleasure in Bookcrossing, her book club, and reading many great books. Unfortunately she didn't get around to reading this book.

We had similar tastes in books and would share them whenever we read something we enjoyed. This book sounds interesting so I'm going to keep it to read.

Journal Entry 4 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, October 24, 2018
In late 19th century Mexico, Teresa is born an unknown father and mother known as the hummingbird. Her mother abandons her with her aunt quickly and Teresa questions who her family is. She makes friends with the local healer and midwife Huila. Huila takes Teresa under her wing, recognizing something special in this girl. Teresa's aunt eventually abandons her as well, and Teresa is taken in by Huila, who works in the household of Don Tomas, which ends up being Teresa's real father.

Life is tough during this time. There are dangers from many different sources. Teresa witnesses these dangers as she grows up and knows that she wants to care for people, same as Huila does. She learns how to bring children in the world and finds that she can take pain away from the mothers as they give birth. Huila tries to nurture these skills in Teresa.

Mexico itself becomes a character as the country, its landscape, and its people provide the perfect backdrop to the magical nature of Teresita and her healing powers. There are some supernatural elements that lost me a little, but eventually brought me back on board to the story. It's obvious that Urrea, who at the end states he believes Teresa is in relation to him, has done an incredible amount of research for this project. His passion for his homeland and the history flows off the page. Even when there were hiccups in the story for me, this passion kept me glued to the story.

Journal Entry 5 by HoserLauren at Burlington, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Released 7 mos ago (11/28/2018 UTC) at Burlington, Ontario Canada

Giving to a colleague at work.