News from Heaven: The Bakerton Stories

Registered by wildflower37 of Montclair, New Jersey USA on 7/23/2012
Journal Entry 1 by wildflower37 from Montclair, New Jersey USA on Sunday, December 08, 2013

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Sunday, December 08, 2013
Uncorrected proof. Picked up at AAUW book sale in town.

Journal Entry 3 by wildflower37 from Montclair, New Jersey USA on Sunday, December 08, 2013

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Sunday, December 08, 2013
Uncorrected proof. Picked up at AAUW book sale in town.

Journal Entry 5 by wildflower37 at Montclair, New Jersey USA on Sunday, December 08, 2013
Somehow this got entered multiple times... All by me!

Journal Entry 6 by wildflower37 at Montclair, New Jersey USA on Saturday, May 10, 2014
Uncorrected proof.
Linked short stories revisit the town and people of Bakerton, a mining town now in decline. Each story examines a key relationship - husband, wife, daughter, son, sister, brother, father, mother, teacher, friend. And the power of place is woven into and around each story as a common thread in the characters' place of beginning or ending.

Journal Entry 7 by wildflower37 at Virtual Book Box, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Sunday, August 16, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (8/16/2015 UTC) at Virtual Book Box, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Sent as part of VBB. Sorry for the delay!

Journal Entry 8 by wingMaranlinwing at Burlington, Ontario Canada on Friday, August 21, 2015
I received this in the mail today as my pick from the General Literature VBB. It looks like a very interesting book so I am looking forward to reading it. Thank you so much for sending it to me!

Journal Entry 9 by wingMaranlinwing at Burlington, Ontario Canada on Monday, August 22, 2016
This series of short stories depicts the life and people of the small town of Bakerton, Pennsylvania and spans several decades. It is a town in decline as the years pass and the coal mines shut down. It is interesting to see the same characters reappear in several of the stories.

Journal Entry 10 by wingMaranlinwing at Burlington, Ontario Canada on Thursday, November 10, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (11/11/2016 UTC) at Burlington, Ontario Canada

Mailed to ReallyBookish as her choice from the General Literature VBB. Hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 11 by wingReallyBookishwing at Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, November 18, 2016
Received today from Maranlin. Thank you so much!

Journal Entry 12 by wingReallyBookishwing at Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, April 20, 2017
This collection of stories was an enjoyable read and I liked Haigh's writing style. At times, I wouldn't have minded a little more meat. But I enjoyed the journey, even when there was not as much depth as I might have wished.

The stories are loosely linked. Some of the characters recur and they all come from or live in the mining town of Bakerton, Pennsylvania. I actually thought the last story was one of the weakest, so I wish Haigh had gone out with more of a bang! Still, worth reading and I'm glad I did so.

Released 2 yrs ago (4/21/2017 UTC) at RABCK, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

Headed out as a RABCK to booboo123. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 14 by booboo123 at Rochester, Michigan USA on Wednesday, April 26, 2017
Received this book from ReallyBookish as an RABCK. I've wanted to read this book for a long time. Thanks so much for sharing with me.