The Pleasures of Men

by Kate Williams | Mystery & Thrillers |
ISBN: 0241954541 Global Overview for this book
Registered by Bjorg of Reykjavík, Reykjavík (Höfuðborgar svæðið) Iceland on 7/23/2012
Journal Entry 1 by Bjorg from Reykjavík, Reykjavík (Höfuðborgar svæðið) Iceland on Monday, July 23, 2012
Spitalfields, 1840. Catherine is an orphan, living in her uncle´s rambling house in London´s East End. Out on the streets, a murderer dubbed The Man of Crows is killing young women. As the city panics, Catherine grows obsessed by the dead girls, thinking they hold the key to uncovering hte killer - but in fact, she´s already far closer then she realizes.

What first drew me to the book is the cover which I think looks great:) The story itself was rather good but I must say that I found it sometimes to be a bit confusing.

Journal Entry 2 by Bjorg at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (8/8/2012 UTC) at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom

A birthday surprise for yorkshire-lass through the Birthday Group:) Hope you will have a great day and enjoy the book:)

Journal Entry 3 by wingyorkshire-lasswing at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on Monday, August 20, 2012
Thank you, this looks so interesting, I'm looking forward to reading it. It may be a while until I can get to it as my TBR pile is massive.
Thanks too for the card :-)

Journal Entry 4 by wingyorkshire-lasswing at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on Saturday, July 05, 2014
This was a good but not outstanding story, sometimes a little confusing. Worth reading for the atmosphere of 1840's London.

Journal Entry 5 by wingyorkshire-lasswing at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on Friday, May 27, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (5/27/2016 UTC) at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom

This is on its way to mysteriousmummy as part of the Alphabet VBB, hope you enjoy it :-)

Journal Entry 6 by mysteriousmummy at Shefford, Bedfordshire United Kingdom on Friday, June 17, 2016
Thank you for sending me this interesting looking book.

Journal Entry 7 by mysteriousmummy at A VBB, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Monday, June 25, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (6/25/2018 UTC) at A VBB, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

I took the unusual decision (for me) not to finish this book, I really couldn't get on with it. It was like a poor imitation of a Sarah Walters Book.

Hopefully the new reader from the first sentences VBB will enjoy it more.

Journal Entry 8 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, July 04, 2018
Arrived safely in Finland, thank you!

Journal Entry 9 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, December 25, 2018
I read a few online reviews of the book and saw that mysteriousmummy is not the only one referring to Kate Williams as a poor woman's Sarah Walters. Luckily(?) I have not read Sarah Walters so that didn't bother me :) I thought the story was quite long-winded and hard to follow at times, but all in all I found this quite interesting, thanks particularly to the setting and the historical detail. Having lived in London, it was fun trying to picture how the familiar locations might have looked like in 1840.

Journal Entry 10 by wingAnnimanniwing at Ranta-Kerttu in Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Saturday, August 10, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (8/17/2019 UTC) at Ranta-Kerttu in Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland

To be released at the Finnish summer convention or somewhere in Turku.

Journal Entry 11 by Mecu at Hämeenlinna, Kanta-Häme / Egentliga Tavastland Finland on Sunday, August 18, 2019
I took the book with me from the Finnish Summer Convention in Turku yesterday. The title and the synopsis, especially the setting got my attention. Annimanni warned me that this isn't great world literature, but I wasn't looking for that. :) Thanks for the book and your company, Annimanni!

Note-to-self: read this before Sarah Waters' The Night Watch.