The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (Random House Reader's Circle)

by Mary Ann Shaffer, Annie Barrows | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingBoekentrolwing of Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on 7/22/2012
Journal Entry 1 by wingBoekentrolwing from Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Sunday, July 22, 2012
Synopsis:
"I wonder how the book got to Guernsey? Perhaps there is some sort of secret homing instinct in books that brings them to their perfect readers.” January 1946: London is emerging from the shadow of the Second World War, and writer Juliet Ashton is looking for her next book subject. Who could imagine that she would find it in a letter from a man she’s never met, a native of the island of Guernsey, who has come across her name written inside a book by Charles Lamb….

As Juliet and her new correspondent exchange letters, Juliet is drawn into the world of this man and his friends—and what a wonderfully eccentric world it is. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society—born as a spur-of-the-moment alibi when its members were discovered breaking curfew by the Germans occupying their island—boasts a charming, funny, deeply human cast of characters, from pig farmers to phrenologists, literature lovers all.

Juliet begins a remarkable correspondence with the society’s members, learning about their island, their taste in books, and the impact the recent German occupation has had on their lives. Captivated by their stories, she sets sail for Guernsey, and what she finds will change her forever."

Journal Entry 2 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Sunday, July 22, 2012
Unintendedly I got a double copy while buying this book for someone who had it on their wishlist.
I guess there's nothing else to do about it than to try again to read it.

Released 2 mos ago (4/26/2019 UTC) at Haus der Jugend - BC Convention 2019 in Mainz, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany

This book travels with me to Mainz. I’ll put it on the book buffet, hoping that someone will pick it up and let it continue its journey.

Journal Entry 4 by wingauweiawing at Ober-Ramstadt, Hessen Germany on Tuesday, April 30, 2019
I found this Book on the Convention in Mainz and took it, because I read the german translation long years ago and always wanted to try reading the original.

Journal Entry 5 by wingauweiawing at Camping Huttopia La Plage Blanche in Ounans, Franche-Comté France on Monday, June 24, 2019

Released 3 wks ago (6/24/2019 UTC) at Camping Huttopia La Plage Blanche in Ounans, Franche-Comté France

It was a very nice reading for my holidays hope it will find new readers on the campsite