Possession: A Romance

by A S Byatt | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by jrfep of Maracaibo, Zulia Venezuela on 7/21/2012
Journal Entry 1 by jrfep from Maracaibo, Zulia Venezuela on Saturday, July 21, 2012
A great book with a unlikely mixture of disparate ingredients: love, literature, history, feminism, academy, obssesion, failure, success, maturity, intrigue, horse-racing... and very funny indeed.

Journal Entry 2 by 1001-library at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, December 08, 2012

Thanks so much for your donation jrfep!

This book is now part of the 1001-library. If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the 1001-library bookshelf.

Journal Entry 3 by jrfep at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Sunday, December 09, 2012
I am passing it to another member of the 1001-library...

Journal Entry 4 by jrfep at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Sunday, December 09, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (12/8/2012 UTC) at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa

A great book,
I hope you like it Stoepbrak!

Journal Entry 5 by wingStoepbrakwing at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Sunday, December 09, 2012

Received from jrfep. Thanks! The book has been on my wishlist and I'm looking forward to reading it.

I like the book's cover picture as shown at the top. The book's actual cover pic is different, though, and rather rich, so I decided to upload it with this JE.

Journal Entry 6 by wingStoepbrakwing at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Monday, March 25, 2013

Winner: Man Booker Prize for Fiction 1990.
Shortlist: Commonwealth Writers' Prize: Best Book 1991.
On the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die List.

If its 511 relatively finely printed pages don't place this book firmly in the heavy-weight category, the formidable story they tell sees to that. And one story it certainly isn't: several layers are woven together with great skill.

I am always in awe of those (increasingly rare) artisans who, when a particular part for a machine can't be found, calmly proceed to create it from scratch. Masters of their craft. The author does the same. She creates enough of the bibliography of two prolific Victorian poets to quote extensively from it and establish the canvas against which the storylines from two very different centuries unfold.

My first, subconscious reading of the title related to ownership. Quickly other meanings of the word, like obsession, came through clearly. In the end one can appreciate how (just about all) the role-players are linked to each other and the objects of their research by strong bonds of possession of whichever kind. Nobody in this world exists isolated, independent and untouched.

The multiple genres and clever, witty writing make this a book that will be enjoyed and rated highly by many readers who don't often agree on the worth of a particular work. I know I certainly did.

I'll return the book to the library. Let me know if you're interested.

Journal Entry 7 by 1001-library at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, March 27, 2013
This book is now back on the 1001 library bookshelf and can be borrowed by PMing Stoepbrak:)

If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the library bookshelf.