The White Tiger: A Novel

by Aravind Adiga | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by vassilka of Larissa / Λάρισα, Larisa Greece on 7/13/2012
Journal Entry 1 by vassilka from Larissa / Λάρισα, Larisa Greece on Friday, July 13, 2012
The White Tiger is the debut novel by Indian author Aravind Adiga. It was first published in 2008 and won the 40th Man Booker Prize in the same year.[1] The novel provides a darkly humorous perspective of India’s class struggle in a globalized world as told through a retrospective narration from Balram Halwai, a village boy. In detailing Balram’s journey first to Delhi, where he works as a chauffeur to a rich landlord, and then to Bangalore, the place to which he flees after killing his master and stealing his money, the novel examines issues of religion, caste, loyalty, corruption and poverty in India.[2] Ultimately, Balram transcends his sweet-maker caste and becomes a successful entrepreneur, establishing his own taxi service. In a nation proudly shedding a history of poverty and underdevelopment, he represents, as he himself says, “tomorrow.”
The novel has been well-received, making the New York Times bestseller list in addition to winning the Man Booker Prize. Aravind Adiga, 33 at the time, was the second youngest writer as well as the fourth debut writer to win the prize in 2008.[3] Adiga says his novel “attempt[s] to catch the voice of the men you meet as you travel through India — the voice of the colossal underclass.”[4] According to Adiga, the exigence for The White Tiger was to capture the unspoken voice of people from “the Darkness” – the impoverished areas of rural India, and he “wanted to do so without sentimentality or portraying them as mirthless humorless weaklings as they are usually.

Participants of the bookring:

5.Carelaisa(CANADA)---->CAN/USA shipping
6.lauraloo29(CANADA)----> INT shipping
7.QueenSissi(PORTUGAL)----->EU shipping
8.Lamilla (BELARUS)---------->EU shipping

The bookring has been successfully completed. Thank you all participants!

Journal Entry 2 by vassilka at Larissa / Λάρισα, Larisa Greece on Friday, August 24, 2012

Released 9 yrs ago (8/23/2012 UTC) at Larissa / Λάρισα, Larisa Greece

On its way to Blue_ berry in UK. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by Blue_berry at Croydon, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, August 27, 2012
Just back from holiday and this waited be in the post! Thanks and will pass on as soon as I've read it!

*************

I enjoyed this a lot! It was quite brutal as a description of modern Indian society but at the same time funny and an easy read.

Journal Entry 4 by Blue_berry at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, September 10, 2012

Released 9 yrs ago (9/10/2012 UTC) at London, Greater London United Kingdom

Sending on this excellent bookring book, enjoy!

Journal Entry 5 by wingjo_an_awing at Vantaa, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, September 14, 2012
Received the book today, thank you for sharing!

---

UPDATE 26.10.2012 Sorry for being so slow! I am nearly done with the book.

Journal Entry 6 by wingjo_an_awing at Vantaa, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, October 30, 2012
This book is excellent, thought-provoking and at the same time quite easy to read. Even though the themes are complex, the narrator portrays himself as an uneducated man, and thus explains everything in a simple, brutal manner, and moves on swiftly with the story.

Thank you very much for including me in the bookring, I will post the book to kiyoitsukikage next.

Journal Entry 7 by wingjo_an_awing at Vantaa, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Released 8 yrs ago (11/7/2012 UTC) at Vantaa, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

This book continues its journey to England!

Journal Entry 8 by kiyoitsukikage at Brixton, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, November 29, 2012
Received thank you, will start as soon as I can !

Journal Entry 9 by kiyoitsukikage at Brixton, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, January 6, 2013
Happy New Year everyone!

First of all sorry for holding the book a little longer than intended, Christmas stalled me :(

I just finished and will pass it on ASAP.

Thank you for sharing, I found it really engrossing and as previous participants mentioned easy to read. It was very interesting to read about the class divisions in India, something I know next to nothing about.

Thanks again.

Journal Entry 10 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Thursday, January 17, 2013
The book arrived by tuesday. Thanks a lot.

Journal Entry 11 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Tuesday, January 22, 2013
Very interesting. I read some books about the class divisions in India but not from a man's point of view.
I'm not so surprised but it gives a lot to think about.

Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 12 by wingIcilawing at La Chapelle-sur-Erdre, Pays de la Loire France on Thursday, January 24, 2013

Released 8 yrs ago (1/24/2013 UTC) at La Chapelle-sur-Erdre, Pays de la Loire France

On its way to Canada.

Journal Entry 13 by wingcarelaisawing at Québec, Québec Canada on Tuesday, January 29, 2013
It got here today!

Looking forward to read it :)

Journal Entry 14 by wingcarelaisawing at Québec, Québec Canada on Sunday, February 17, 2013
What a refreshing book! It started, I would say, as a normal story about a young boy but it soon morphs into one of survival and wanting more than what his family expects of him. The narration is simple yet effective; nothing is out of place or put there for no reason. The author truly has a gift for getting hooked the readers to his story and making it real (though we know it’s a work of fiction). Truly, it’s a good book, one I would recommend to read to everyone.

I have the address of the next reader, so I'll mail it this week, on pay-day!

EDIT: the book is now in the mail, as of Feb 27th!

Journal Entry 15 by lauraloo29 at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Thursday, March 7, 2013
Arrived today. I have a couple of books before it, but I will keep it moving. Thank you!

Journal Entry 16 by QueenSissi at Gouveia, Guarda Portugal on Sunday, April 14, 2013
It has arrived! Thanks Lauraloo ad Vassilka! TBR pile - hope I won't take too long. 1 in front but big :)

Journal Entry 17 by QueenSissi at Gouveia, Guarda Portugal on Sunday, June 2, 2013
I have read it and finished it some time ago but postponed my trip to the post office, sorry.

It was a very interesting read and though we knew what was coming, I just couldn't stop Reading it, meaning I would stay up Reading...

Thank you for sharing and sending it to Belarus (a first for me) :)

Journal Entry 18 by wingLamillawing at Мінск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus on Friday, June 21, 2013
Arrived today, thank you! Looking forward to reading it

Journal Entry 19 by wingLamillawing at Мінск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus on Tuesday, September 17, 2013
Thanks for sharing the book with me!
Hopefully will be heading home somewhere around next week

Journal Entry 20 by wingLamillawing at Мінск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus on Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Released 8 yrs ago (9/24/2013 UTC) at Мінск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus

Sent home.

Track: RR021776982BY

Journal Entry 21 by vassilka at Larissa / Λάρισα, Larisa Greece on Tuesday, October 8, 2013
Back to me along with a lovely card! Thank you so much Lamilla and also a big "thanks" to all the participants who read this book and helped it to continue its journey

Journal Entry 22 by vassilka at Larissa / Λάρισα, Larisa Greece on Monday, October 14, 2013

Released 8 yrs ago (10/13/2013 UTC) at Larissa / Λάρισα, Larisa Greece

We had our monthly meet up on Sunday 13th and I took the book with me. Luckily another bookcrosser showed interest and I gave it to her...So the book keeps travelling:-)

Journal Entry 23 by zozi at Larissa / Λάρισα, Larisa Greece on Saturday, December 21, 2013
Vasilka, άργησα να το καταχωρίσω. Συγγνώμη για την αργοπορία. Αλλά ξέρεις, υποχρεώσεις. ..