Still Life: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel

Happy Canada Day
by Louise Penny | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by winggypsysmomwing of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 7/9/2012
Journal Entry 1 by winggypsysmomwing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, February 24, 2013
This is the first Chief Inspector Gamache novel. I've been aware of this series for a long time but I've never read any. Finally I decided I had to start and I talked my work book club into reading it for April 2013. I'm looking forward to it.

Journal Entry 2 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, March 31, 2013
Louise Penny made an intriguing start with this book. I will definitely be reading more of the series. I thought there were a few first book wobbles but they weren't enough to deter me from reading.

The village of Three Pines is a small, mostly English town in the Eastern Townships south of Montreal. It's a place where people go to retire or to get away from the hustle and bustle of city life. At Thanksgiving the colours of the leaves make the area particularly attractive to tourists. Hunters are also frequent visitors due to the abundance of deer and other game. So when a local women, Jane Neal, is found dead in the woods near Three Pines the immediate assumption is that some hunter mistook her for a deer and shot her. Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of the Quebec Surete is not convinced it is an accident though. He sets up an investigation headquarters in the disused railway station and moves into the local B & B. Soon he is talking to all the locals and learning their involvement with the dead woman. His assistant, Inspector Jean Guy Beauvoir, helps with all this and also stays at the B & B. Rookie officer Yvette Nichol is also invited to stay and learn from Gamache. Nichol is more of a hindrance than a help to the investigation by leaping to unjustified conclusions, talking when she has been told to be quiet and not following leads she has been directed to consider. Some of the local villagers, especially Miss Neal's close friend Clara Morrow, also help in the investigation. Everyone slowly comes to the conclusion that the person who killed Miss Neal is a local.

It's an interesting cast of characters. I especially liked Myrna, the owner of the bookstore, who used to be a therapist in Montreal. Big and black she stands out in the village but she is one of the stalwarts. I hope she makes a reappearance. I'm pretty sure that Nichol will be back even though Gamache sends her packing before the end of the investigation.

I will be reserving this book for the Canada Days release challenge.

Journal Entry 3 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Tuesday, April 30, 2013
Since I read the book it has been through the hands of two people in my work book club and been discussed at our April meeting. I think everyone in the club enjoyed it (which is somewhat of a rarity) and most of us plan on reading more in the series.

This book will be released during the 2013 Canada Days release challenge.

Journal Entry 4 by winggypsysmomwing at Sunshine Foods in Madison, South Dakota USA on Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (6/29/2013 UTC) at Sunshine Foods in Madison, South Dakota USA

Although we had purchased food in Fargo the day before we found we were missing some essentials (like peanut butter) so we made a quick stop here. I left this book on a bench outside.

This release is for the 2013 Canada Days release challenge which seeks to get Canadian books into the wild and into the hands of new readers. Happy Canada Day!