Underworld

by Don DeLillo | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingPasseur-Xwing of Strasbourg, Alsace France on 7/8/2012
Journal Entry 1 by wingPasseur-Xwing from Strasbourg, Alsace France on Sunday, July 08, 2012
You'll need time and will to read its 827 pages.
Is it because I am unamerican that I feel somewhat disappointed ?

Journal Entry 2 by wingPasseur-Xwing at Strasbourg, Alsace France on Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Released 8 yrs ago (7/11/2012 UTC) at Strasbourg, Alsace France

Flying westwards.

Journal Entry 3 by 4evagreen at Whaley Bridge, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 18, 2012
Book arrived safely. I had not realised that it was such a weighty tome so many thanks for the very generous gift.

Journal Entry 4 by 4evagreen at Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 02, 2018
Underworld opens breathlessly with one of the longest and most exhilarating prologues that I have read in a long time and features a famous baseball game played in New York in 1951 - the Giants versus the Dodgers. This was a key play-off game, won with a home run in the last moment of the final innings. DeLillo wonderfully captures the emotions of all those that were present,the spectators, the cops and vendors, the commentators, and a few notable celebrity guests namely Frank Sinatra, Jackie Gleason and J. Edgar Hoover, among others. Also in the crowd is a young black lad wagging school and who manages to get in to see the game for free. This lad ultimately leaves the ground with the actual baseball that sailed into the crowd for the winning run. This ball, its owners and their fates, is used to guide the reader through the remainder of the story that follows. Although I am a sports fan I cannot truly say that I'm a baseball fan but I have got to admit that I was totally swept along on the wave of emotions in this section.

In many respects this novel goes a long way to reminding what we love about books as it can make seemingly ordinary lives seem quite extraordinary and I have to say that I enjoyed the author's writing style yet I feel that this book is 200 if not 300 pages too long making it an OK read rather than a great one.

Journal Entry 5 by 4evagreen at Whaley Bridge, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Monday, January 22, 2018

Released 2 yrs ago (1/22/2018 UTC) at Whaley Bridge, Derbyshire United Kingdom

Spotted this on a wishlist so going out to hopefully make a new friend. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by kingfan30 at -- Somewhere in Lincs, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 24, 2018
Thank you so much for sending this too me, hadn’t realised it was such a big book 😬