LIFE SUPPORT CASSETTE [ABRIDGED]

by Tess Gerritsen | Audiobooks |
Registered by shellyann of Rifle, Colorado USA on 11/8/2003
Journal Entry 1 by shellyann from Rifle, Colorado USA on Saturday, November 08, 2003
TBLT

Journal Entry 2 by shellyann from Rifle, Colorado USA on Tuesday, December 16, 2003
**available for trade

I found this interesting but a little weak in the plot. It may have just been me but it seemed to skip a bit of the story. If you like medical mystery, you will like this.

from back of box:
Dr. Toby Harper works the night shift in an emergency room. She spends her daytime hours alone with her mother who suffers from Alzheimer's disease. When elderly Alzheimer's patients fromthe same retirement home start dying mysteriously, Toby is the only one suspicious enough to investigate. As a result, she finds herself, her mother,and her own sanity at risk.

Journal Entry 3 by shellyann at on Friday, December 19, 2003
Release planned for Monday, January 19, 2004 at n/a in traded through the mail, Traded to BookCrosser Controlled Releases.

mailing to lauries

Journal Entry 4 by BarkLessWagMore from Merrimack, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, February 10, 2004
Thanks shellyann! Life Support arrived today & I will post more when I've read it.

Journal Entry 5 by BarkLessWagMore from Merrimack, New Hampshire USA on Monday, June 14, 2004
Will be starting this tomorrow.

Journal Entry 6 by BarkLessWagMore from Merrimack, New Hampshire USA on Friday, June 18, 2004
I am reviewing this book in its abridged format of only two tapes.

This abridged recording begins when an underage prostitute is delivered to her client. She’s immediately put off by the sleazy location but plays along entering a white walled room filled only with a bright light and what appears to be a doctor’s examination table. She hops up on the table as instructed but is soon sucking in noxious fumes and knocked unconscious . . .

Next we meet Dr. Toby Harper who works the graveyard shift in the emergency room. One night an old man appears in the ER with no apparent illness besides a penchant for stripping off his clothes in public and a bit of disorientation. As Toby goes about examining him his leg starts to twitch. She’s called out on another call and when she returns he has disappeared and Toby is held responsible. Soon another old man arrives (who was, coincidentally, living in the same fancy retirement community as the first mystery man) with similar symptoms but this man dies. Toby is suspicious, orders an autopsy and does some snooping around on her own when she is met with unreasonable resistance to her questions. It seems that some experimentation with prolonging life has been going on at the retirement home with frightening side effects. When Toby eventually discovers a bit of what has been going on her own life becomes endangered.

This was an interesting medical thriller with an engaging protagonist but once Tape 2 begins the abridgement becomes very apparent. Events begin to happen fast and furiously and characterization is minimal. For the most part, the cuts necessary for this abridgement are smooth but I did find myself left a bit confused on more than one occasion and would’ve loved to have gotten to know all of the players a bit better. If I stumble across an uncut version of “Life Support” I’ll definitely check it out to read all that I missed.

Released on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 at Post Office ~ mailed to fellow bookcrosser in Audiobook Box, A Bookbox Controlled Releases.

Adding to the Audiobook book box to replace November of the Heart by LaVryle Spencer

Mailing entire box off to carlissa

Journal Entry 8 by Kali297 from Greer, South Carolina USA on Wednesday, August 11, 2004
I got this in the audio book box that came in the mail yesterday, Aug. 10th. Thanks!

Journal Entry 9 by Kali297 from Greer, South Carolina USA on Wednesday, September 15, 2004
I finished listening to this one today. Although the presentation is excellent, the story disappoints. Tape 1 of 2 lags badly, and even when the pace quickened in Tape 2, I had long lost interest, although I did listen all the way through. The author seems to be flying blind, right along with the reader. I love the elderly, but feeling as though I was wandering through a nursing home full of corpses for two whole tapes did not quicken my pulse. There is very little character development, just a whole lot of dead old men and very little life in Life Support.

Journal Entry 10 by lilmztaz from Blythewood, South Carolina USA on Tuesday, October 05, 2004
came home in book box