Year of Wonders

by Geraldine Brooks | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0142001430 Global Overview for this book
Registered by waternixie of Everett, Washington USA on 6/28/2012
Journal Entry 1 by waternixie from Everett, Washington USA on Thursday, June 28, 2012
From the F.O.L. book sale. People in my bookgroup have liked this author, though this particular book wasn't mentioned.

Journal Entry 2 by wingReallyBookishwing at Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, April 15, 2015
I chose this book from the Wrap-It-Up Bookbox based on its first sentence: "I used to love this season."

I will either read and release it or make it available to continue along its journey.

Journal Entry 3 by wingReallyBookishwing at Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, May 28, 2015
Wow, wow, wow! I absolutely loved this book! The writing is lyrical, the premise lives up to its promise, the plot comes across as fresh and original, and the characters are nuanced and seem genuinely human. This is an incredible accomplishment on the part of Geraldine Brooks, and I definitely want to read more of her work! She is clearly a very intelligent woman, and I appreciate the fact that she expects her readers to be intelligent, too.

This is truly one of the best books that I have ever read. I am sad that it is over, but am so glad that I chose it from the bookbox! Thank you for sharing it, waternixie.

Journal Entry 4 by wingReallyBookishwing at by mail, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Monday, July 20, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (7/20/2015 UTC) at by mail, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

I am adding this book to the Bride of Potpourri Bookbox. I hope the next reader enjoys it as much as I did!

Journal Entry 5 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, August 02, 2015
I'm claiming this book from the Bride of Potpourri bookbox, unable to resist the rave review! (OK, and the subtitle says it's about the Plague, so there's that {grin}.)

Journal Entry 6 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, August 13, 2015
I enjoyed this book very much - up to a point. The immersion in 17th-century village-life was impressive, sometimes rather charming and often terrifying (even without the complications of the plague - the domestic brutality and mob violence was unnerving). I liked Anna as a character, and appreciated the author's attempts to keep her attitudes and actions to those that made sense for someone of her place and time while still giving her some believable levels of curiosity and questioning-of-the-status-quo.

The nightmarish nature of the plague and its effects on victims, survivors, and fearful neighbors was depicted in full and horrifying detail, and the bravery and brutally-hard work of those who continued to help and support the victims was impressive.

For me, though, the conclusion of the book was... well, oddly out of keeping with everything that went before. Not that any of the events regarding the Bradfords' situation were impossible, just that the combination of factors coming all together at the very end of the story felt way too much like a soap-opera climax to me. (I wasn't that crazy about Mompellion's dark confession either, as it put such a despicable spin on what had been a very lovely relationship. Again, it involved the kind of thinking that would be in keeping with certain sects at that time, but it didn't *feel* right to me given what we knew of the characters up to that point.)

Given all of that, Anna's final situation seemed much better than anything she could have hoped for, and it certainly had its charms, but I didn't care for the melodrama that led up to her flight. Other than that, the book was riveting throughout, and I'm very glad I had a chance to read it.

Oh, one other thing: I appreciated the author's choice to rename some of the characters that were inspired by historical ones, so that she could provide them the motives and deeds she wanted for the story without casting shadows on the actual people behind the story.

Journal Entry 7 by wingGoryDetailswing at Roby Park, Spitbrook Rd in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, August 13, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (8/13/2015 UTC) at Roby Park, Spitbrook Rd in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book, bagged against the elements, at the base of a tree at the Roby Park trail head near the mother-and-child sculpture, at around 7:30 or so; hope the finder enjoys it!

*** Released as part of the 2015 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***