Thrill City (Simone Kirsch)

by Leigh Redhead | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingcatsalivewing of Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on 6/27/2012
Journal Entry 1 by wingcatsalivewing from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, July 28, 2012
cover:
Simone Kirsch, ex-stripper, sleuth and bad girl, is back in business - and before she has time to crack open a bottle of cheap champagne to celebrate the launch of her very own detective agency, she's up to her neck in lethal fun and games.

It all starts off quite innocently, when bestselling crime novelist Nick Austin wants to follow her around for a few days as background research for his next novel. But the day after Nick, his ex-wife Isabella and her new lover all appear on the same panel at a writers' festival, Isabella is found brutally murdered and Nick disappears, leaving Simone with more trouble than she can handle.

While she can take in her stride murderous bikies, desperate publishers, poetry slams and a crystal meth-addicted psycho killer with literary ambitions, Simone is also juggling her very pregnant and possibly hormonally unbalanced best friend, Chloe; her ongoing attraction to ex-cop Alex; and her boyfriend, Sean, who wants her to give up her agency and move to Vietnam.

All up, life is complicated - not to mention the fact that she's facing the toughest, most dangerous case of her career.

Journal Entry 2 by wingcatsalivewing at Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, September 02, 2012
I enjoyed the book once it got going, the beginning was a little slow. I didn't like Simone very much at the beginning but I did warm to her a little towards the end. The violence was quite graphic which was a bit unexpected, but it did ring somewhat true when dealing with an iced-up bikie gang member. It's a girls' own action adventure, and it does have some silly and amusing bits, but I had to read it in small sittings or Simone just got too annoying.

I'll have to go back and read the earlier books now.

Journal Entry 3 by wingcatsalivewing at NSW, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, September 09, 2012

Released 8 yrs ago (9/7/2012 UTC) at NSW, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

A wishlist book sent to LadyIndigo for the September 2012 Southern Cross Book Exchange.

Journal Entry 4 by wingLadyIndigowing at Orange, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, September 29, 2012
oh my goodness a big bag of books arrived for southern cross exchange ... thanks catsalive :)

thanks so much for this wishlist book; i have wanted to read her books for a while - not read any in the series (in fact did not realise there was a series...) - so am looking forward to it, if one can, in fact, look forward to reading crime

;)

Journal Entry 5 by wingLadyIndigowing at Orange, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, February 12, 2013
On balance, it was an ok read - some of the language really grated on me, especially coming out of women's mouths.. but then, some 'women' do speak like that... not in the circles in my world, but in others..

The plotline was a little untidy, sounded good, but not well executed.
But all in all readable - something that really doesn't take a lot of brain power in the summer heat - the action kept it moving along and I learnt something more about Simone's former lifestyle.
I have since read an earlier book as well (library) which was almost as silly in parts..

Journal Entry 6 by wingLadyIndigowing at Valentine exchange, A book trading site -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Released 8 yrs ago (2/11/2013 UTC) at Valentine exchange, A book trading site -- Controlled Releases

sending along with the valentine's day exchange - books need company :)

Journal Entry 7 by juli2007 at Beachmere, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, February 27, 2013
Yay! I received this book in my valentine exchange, looks like an interesting read. Thanks again for the wonderful goodies you sent me, it really brightened my day!